Sears G-44

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Ok, so I'm talking to this guy about the Deere saw he has and I mention I like all old saws, and ask if he has anything else. He gives me a model number of 91763208 on his vintage sears saw. I look on acresinternet and find 917.63208 in the craftsman saws, google around and find that some dude up in upstate new york has one. This guy (on AS) is named Battenkiller. Small world, huh?

Anyhooo, this guy wants 130 for the saw (70cc gear drive saw), but I'm feeling like that is too steep. Anybody have an opinion on this sort of thing. I know that AS is the place for guys who collect and have CAD, guys here like a saw you can use, for the most part.

Here's a link to BKs saw. You still have it, BK?
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147444.htm

lol, I have one in the attic! gf's dad's saw. Plan on breaking it down and making a shelve queen.

Thats like a Mall OMG Danno, it's time has come & gone. Many of the old gear drives used odd chain sizes also. I can't pull up the pics on AS so I'm assuming it's a real oldie. The Homelite SXL is a lotta bang for the buck & will pull a 24" bar with just standard 3/8" chain. I've bought powerheads only for $10 to 20 bucks. This summer I bought one for $2.00. The only drawback is a bit of vibration as they don't use isolators. A pair of padded gloves works fine. These are real workhorse saws, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
Thats like a Mall OMG Danno, it's time has come & gone. Many of the old gear drives used odd chain sizes also. I can't pull up the pics on AS so I'm assuming it's a real oldie. The Homelite SXL is a lotta bang for the buck & will pull a 24" bar with just standard 3/8" chain. I've bought powerheads only for $10 to 20 bucks. This summer I bought one for $2.00. The only drawback is a bit of vibration as they don't use isolators. A pair of padded gloves works fine. These are real workhorse saws, Randy

Is this randy on ebay?

smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Is this randy on ebay?
I sell on Ebay, don't have SXL on there now Jay, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Is this randy on ebay?

I order a lot of mac parts from you. Very good service. Have not broke mine down but looks to only be missing the air filter cover. And I have a 3214 mac needing a cheap coil guy doesnt want to put much in the saw?

So what do you guys think about the price?

Danno77 said:

I might be a buyer if it runs good. Not really going to be a big collector but sure is a lot of fun.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I might be a buyer if it runs good.
He says it does.

I would want to run it and see if I had to have it after that. The one I got ran fine a couple years ago they just didnt have a clue to keep it all together. New rings and I think it will be good to go. Work on the price a little to?

smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
smokinjay said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Is this randy on ebay?

I order a lot of mac parts from you. Very good service. Have not broke mine down but looks to only be missing the air filter cover. And I have a 3214 mac needing a cheap coil guy doesnt want to put much in the saw?
Jay, Thats not me, now I remember, there is a Randy Dougan(I believe) down south that sells a lot of chainsaw stuff, it's probably him, Randy

Danno77 said:
The price seems high Danno. You might want to check chain size on it as mentioned, I saw a 25' roll of 9/16(I believe) go for almost $300 on Ebay. Some chain sizes are not available except NOS & used on Ebay & the sellers know they gotcha, Randy If I remember right, you measure across three rivets & divide by 2 to get chain size.

Singed Eyebrows said:
Danno77 said:
The price seems high Danno. You might want to check chain size on it as mentioned, I saw a 25' roll of 9/16(I believe) go for almost $300 on Ebay. Some chain sizes are not available except NOS & used on Ebay & the sellers know they gotcha, Randy If I remember right, you measure across three rivets & divide by 2 to get chain size.

Acresinternet has the pitch listed, but not the gauge. If I can't figure out the gauge then I can always buy a new bar, if I can find one with the right bar mount holes in it. The pitch is 3/8, so it's not too uncommon.

I need to shoot the guy another email asking about the oilers on these saws. I don't mind messing with that sort of thing, but if I'm paying top dollar, they better work perfectly. Both are manual, IIRC.

Danno77 said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Danno77 said:

Acresinternet has the pitch listed, but not the gauge. If I can't figure out the gauge then I can always buy a new bar, if I can find one with the right bar mount holes in it. The pitch is 3/8, so it's not too uncommon.

I need to shoot the guy another email asking about the oilers on these saws. I don't mind messing with that sort of thing, but if I'm paying top dollar, they better work perfectly. Both are manual, IIRC.

Its a good sign when they ask top dollar. jmo I would run it and offer 75.00 then meet in the middle....Hundo!

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Danno77 said:

Its a good sign when they ask top dollar. jmo
That's what I'm assuming, but I'll be sending my dad to pick these saws up, and I dn't want to get the saw to my shop and find out I was wrong, cause then y'all would be telling me never to assume anything!

Danno said:
smokinjay said:
Danno said:
Singed Eyebrows said:
Danno said:

Its a good sign when they ask top dollar. jmo
That's what I'm assuming, but I'll be sending my dad to pick these saws up, and I dn't want to get the saw to my shop and find out I was wrong, cause then y'all would be telling me never to assume anything!

This is a little different. Guess I am assuming this will not be a production saw? lol ( I will in the near future have a big thick black walnut shelve for a couple saws) I want them running to.

Danno77 said:
Ok, so I'm talking to this guy about the Deere saw he has and I mention I like all old saws, and ask if he has anything else. He gives me a model number of 91763208 on his vintage sears saw. I look on acresinternet and find 917.63208 in the craftsman saws, google around and find that some dude up in upstate new york has one. This guy (on AS) is named Battenkiller. Small world, huh?

Anyhooo, this guy wants 130 for the saw (70cc gear drive saw), but I'm feeling like that is too steep. Anybody have an opinion on this sort of thing. I know that AS is the place for guys who collect and have CAD, guys here like a saw you can use, for the most part.

Sorry, must be another Battenkiller with a G-44.

Battenkiller said:
Danno77 said:

Sorry, must be another Battenkiller with a G-44.
Yer killin' me, dude!

I've had it for over 20 years now. It used to cut about 25 cord a year for the old guy that took care of the Ryerson Mansion near Cooperstown. My mom ran an Episcopal conference center out that way, and old Al took care of all the property. Fed all that wood into three huge old wood furnaces - 8 cord/yr apiece - in the basement of the 35-room mansion. Eventually they bought the guy a big Stihl saw and I rescued this one from the dumpster. Never even fired it up in all that time, but it was working when he put it down way back then.

4.4 cu.in (72 cc), gear drive, low-revving saw with no chain brake and a manual oiler. Made by David Bradley, it's probably a real torque monster, especially with that gear drive. Might be good for small milling operations where speed don't matter but chugging along without bogging down in the cut does matter. Takes 3/8 regular chain (I just checked), comes with a 17" bar.

Yours for only $149 plus shipping. %-P

Attachments

• Sears-Saw---Top.jpg
    Sears-Saw---Top.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Sears-Saw---Side.jpg
    Sears-Saw---Side.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 252
  • Sears-Saw---Starter-Side.jpg
    Sears-Saw---Starter-Side.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 236
  • Sears Saw - Bottom.jpg