Seasoned Logs??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robalp

Mar 1, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
I have been enjoing reading this site for some time. There are some really knowledgeable folks on here. My question is as follows: I have a local fire wood guy, who has wood just cut and split from logs (20 to 30 ft.) The logs have been sitting on his site for 2 years or so. Would this wood be good for burning now, or would it need to season for a year?

I'd be willing to bet it needs more time. A year or better depending on the species.

depends a lot on what it is but agree with rdust...

robalp said:
I have been enjoing reading this site for some time. There are some really knowledgeable folks on here. My question is as follows: I have a local fire wood guy, who has wood just cut and split from logs (20 to 30 ft.) The logs have been sitting on his site for 2 years or so. Would this wood be good for burning now, or would it need to season for a year?
If it's oak, probably not. Might help some if they were logs setting near the top of the pile for two years, but definitely not those on the bottom of the pile.

oak logs tht long are green! plenty of people "sell" me tht bs.... "been down 2yrs or more" but split yesterday.... tht stuff is not ready! been through tht dissapointment to many times!

stuffs gotta season after being split.

i have red oak that was cut standing dead and i STILL give it 2 or 3 years after splitting before burning....

It all depends upon the type of wood and how the logs were stacked.

I've cut some soft maple trees and just left them laying. Two years later I cut them and they are starting to turn punky already even with the logs being off the ground. But that won't happen with most wood. Most just will not dry except for right on the ends of the logs. If they were touching ground, most will start to rot in that length of time. One that won't is ash. I have some that I cut 3 years ago and it has yet to show any signs of rot or punk.

If the rounds are white ash, then yes they can be split and burned immediately after one year sitting in the round. As for red oak, hickory,Osage etc. the previous posters are correct you would have to split and season a minimum of one more year(maybe more).
Joe

Personally I would still want to season the wood as long as possible by getting it cut, split and stacked . . . being cut two years ago will help . . . but there's nothing that helps season the wood quite like getting it bucked to length, split and stacked so the wind and sun can work its magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.