Seasoned oak for a FP, Green oak for a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only are you burning wrong you have been measuring your cords wrong also, he shows a face cord as a half cord. Adds up to $375 in real cord terms. Very professional operation!

If it weren't for suckers that man would be out of business fast. Amazing...

JoeyD said:
Not only are you burning wrong you have been measuring your cords wrong also, he shows a face cord as a half cord. Adds up to $375 in real cord terms. Very professional operation!

They look like 24" splits which would make it a half cord.

I'd definitely order some except that the splits look too long for my stove. All of you guys can burn stale firewood if it makes you happy, but the fresh stuff has a much oakier smell, which is how I judge firewood.

Not only does the fresh stuff smell better, but it's heavier too. Everyone knows that heavier wood is denser and thus more valuable than lighter wood.

BroadCove said:
Not only does the fresh stuff smell better, but it's heavier too. Everyone knows that heavier wood is denser and thus more valuable than lighter wood.

Green oak can sometimes be so dense it actually sinks in water. That stuff must be the most valuable firewood of all. ;-P

BroadCove said:

Heavier? You then very well might be interested in some excellent and heavy cottonwood I have laying around here. It has a very strong odor also.

Fresh cut wood does indeed smell good (most of it at least) but it won't be ready to put into the stove yet.

Wood Duck said:
I'd definitely order some except that the splits look too long for my stove. All of you guys can burn stale firewood if it makes you happy, but the fresh stuff has a much oakier smell, which is how I judge firewood.

The fresh stuff is how you judge firewood? Judge it for what?

If it is all about "asthetics", then my wood looks great no matter how long it has sat. It all looks great in a neat stack.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wood Duck said:

The fresh stuff is how you judge firewood? Judge it for what?

Freshness. You can question my judgement, but remember, the seller is a professional.

You can have your "fresh" wood. It is practically worthless until it has dried. Stale? Hum....

it seriously took every ounce of control in my body to not sign up for a new account using that dude's picture as my avatar and coming here to start trouble. seriously....

I have nice fresh elm and you should bring it right into your house burn it quick, it smells better that way :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.