seasoning a wood pile...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crimson63

Feb 6, 2010
central bama
Could I properly season oak & hickory for next winter if it were cut, split & stack in a shed with a small fan running to keep air moving? My thinking is by keeping the air moving it would speed up the process, use a minimum of electricty, & cost much less than buying a few cords of season wood. Next winter will be my first with a modern stove so I'm trying to come up with a plan to get ahead of the game. Your thoughts?

Probably not. Stack it outside in the sun and wind. Nature will provide more drying/seasoning than a fan in a shed will. But, I can't imagine oak being ready to burn by next Fall. Two years maybe.

Unless the shed is very open, like a roof but no sides, I don't think the shed will help. I bet the fan will help, but I don't know if it will be enough. You would probably do better getting some different types of wood that dry faster and season them for next year. I think most other species of wood will season in a year if stacked in the wind and sun.

Hickory, no problem. Oak.... fugetaboudit. Why bother with oak if you can get hickory?

I also think you should get a mix of woods, particularly down where you are. Doubt you'll see too many -20º days in a row down where you are. Lighter woods like poplar are great for a quick fire to take the chill off the place. Cherry is a great medium-heat wood with lots of flexibility in burning. Whatever you get, it will season much faster out in the elements in most climates.

crimson63 said:
Could I properly season oak & hickory for next winter if it were cut, split & stack in a shed with a small fan running to keep air moving? My thinking is by keeping the air moving it would speed up the process, use a minimum of electricty, & cost much less than buying a few cords of season wood. Next winter will be my first with a modern stove so I'm trying to come up with a plan to get ahead of the game. Your thoughts?

+1

Oak will not be ready, it will burn but not well. You'll have to mess with and keep it burning hotter then you want so it doesn't smoldering. I'm dealing with a little of this right now and it's annoying to say the least. Split it on the small side in full sun/wind and see where it ends up. If your climate has low humidity it may surprise you.

Hickory I think will be ready or at least more ready then the oak. I had a cord of hickory this year that I had split/stacked in the spring and it burned pretty good for me. I'm finishing up the last little bit right now, I've been using a few splits every night for my overnight fires.

For wood that is recently cut/split and is going to be burned next winter, your best bet is seasoning outside in the sun and wind. It will give you the most "active" seasoning without resorting to something crazy like a kiln.

Do not even bother trying to get that oak ready. It is just not worth it. Get some more wood for next year and the oak for the year after...

My neighbor has a tree service so I get my wood pretty cheap. The downside is it's usually a bit green still. I put it outside this time of year and just cover the pile with a large tarp to keep the snow and rain out. The moderate winds that flow down the powerlines dry everything out pretty decent, except oak. I still burn it but place most of it in my basement for about 3 weeks to dry out further. It helps a lot as I keep it close to the stove and the humidity down there barely gets above 20% this time of year. This year I think I'm going to get ambitious and get enough wood for next year and stack and season it myself instead of always getting what's on the top of the pile @ my neighbors.

Forget about the oak. Split it small it may be ready for the year after next. Look for locust and ash for next year.

gzecc said:
Forget about the oak. Split it small it may be ready for the year after next. Look for locust and ash for next year.
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.