Seasoning White Birch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okotoks guy

May 22, 2010
Alberta
So I found a very decent scrounge on Kijiji. 2 cords of White Birch that's been bucked into 14"-16"
lengths. The typical diameter would be roughly 12"-14".

My question: If I wanted to make up some "overnighters" do you think I could just knock the outer
edges off and get some 10-12" Blocks that would be completely free of bark and still season? I know
that I have to split them because Birch will rot because the bark is waterproof. Should it be OK
with edges removed and stacked in the open?

I live in Alberta and have an open field and pallets so the wood gets LOTS of wind and plenty of
sunshine so the wood seasons much quicker than in other geographical areas.

Thanks in advance.

That will work fine, still need to give it a year to dry out though. Another trick is simply use a utility knife and score the bark length wise which will cause it peel back.

I think I'd split the birch and try making all nighters out of another species. Rotted wood doesn't hold many BTUs. If you don't need it for say 2 years it's one thing, but if you are relying on it for next winter it's another...

Matt

As long as you get the bark off, white birch is great wood. Where it gets bad rep is that the trees tend to rot standing up, if they are not cut when they are still alive, the wood is usually partially punky when the tree is dropped. If I am able to split it immediately, I run my chainsaw lengthwise along the length of the trunk making sure that I cut down through the inner bark. Usually the bark peels away once its dried a bit, but its still important to get the bark off. I hand split and find that its best to split off center to begin with so offset splitting to remove the bark and leave a square block should work.

EatenByLimestone said:
I think I'd split the birch and try making all nighters out of another species. Rotted wood doesn't hold many BTUs. If you don't need it for say 2 years it's one thing, but if you are relying on it for next winter it's another...

Matt

I understand that rotted wood won't provide much in the way of BTU's; that's why I am taking the bark
off it and asking if it will still season. Are you saying that it will still rot even if I take the bark off?
White Birch is as good as it gets out here for wood. I sure miss living in Northern Ontario! LOL!

There should be no problem of rot so long as you get some of the bark off. I think you have a great idea. Also splitting like that will be easy to stack. Great for making the ends of the rows in a cross hatch.

I like white birch, but not sure if it would make the best wood when it comes to all-nighters . . . if I could get a better wood species I would go that route. If not, what you're saying makes sense . . . or you could do as I have with some rounds . . . just score the bark . . . I have run my saw down the outside edge on a couple of sides to let the wood "breathe."

Sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe a lot of work though & you'll end up with a heck of a lot of small pieces & attached bark (good firestarters I guess). I might just knock some of them in half for the overnighters as others say, you don't need to remove ALL the bark.

So....... I went and implemented my plan and did 1 pallet worth of blocks and still have
a long ways to go. What I have done is left anywhere from 1/2" -2" of wood attatched to
the bark so that I get fairly uniform blocks. I do wish they would have stacked nicer,but
they will get more air moving around and dry quicker not being very tight.There is enough
wood left on the bark that I will be a "Juke Box Hero" around the campfire and toasty warm
at night at home with the big blocks burning away for hours.

It takes longer at the splitter to be precise, but I think it will be worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.