Seasoning Wood/Summer Outlook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
From AccuWeather, we will see how accurate they are.

Zap

Attachments

• 400x266_05231343_2011%20summer%20outlook.jpg
    400x266_05231343_2011%20summer%20outlook.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 549
For us it is wet here in Iowa, but my wood will be dry any way.

I finally had a chance to see what all the fuss is about with red oak. I just compared it to pieces of ash, elm, and pine I split at the same time (~2 months ago). All 3 other woods were notably light and feeling seasoned (purely by feel), as well as had splits forming across all facets of the wood.

The red oak felt the same as when I split it yesterday - ridiculously heavy for split size, almost wet to the touch, and did not have any cracks formed in it.

Ridiculously slow to season, though I'm sure it burns amazing.

oldspark said:
For us it is wet here in Iowa, but my wood will be dry any way.

Yup. April & May have been pretty cool & quite wet.Very few days (less than 7 in my county) that its been over 80 degrees in past 2 months.Even when it wasnt raining,it was still cloudy 5 days out of 7.

Only been able to cut my lawn twice so far. Backyard still like a sponge in some spots. We got an amazing 8+inches of rain for May. The average in just about 3. This forcast would be nice for us here in WNY. Most of my wood is in direct wind and sunight from about 11am til dusk. In the process of splitting a cord of apple to help quicken the seasoning. Reached 84 over here today.

I just took the top covers off my stacks since we are going to see several days of HEAT. I didn't like the number of ant egg nests I found but I am sure they were taking advantage of the heat produced by the covers. Let the drying begin!

fv

91 and relatively dry with a breeze here. More drying in the last 3 days than the last 3 months.

SolarAndWood said:
91 and relatively dry with a breeze here. More drying in the last 3 days than the last 3 months.

Solar, about the same here. I did get about one hour of work making the trail wider to our stacks, looks like tomorrow I'll run the truck back in and make sure it's wide enough.

Zap

We are already running 12 degrees above average, and the rain chances have all but disappeared. Of course if you don't like the weather in TN, wait 10 minutes...

I am going to move my stacks to Nevada for the summer to take advantage of the drought.

Most people around here have been hoping for a dry out after extremely wet spring...last I saw we were 12+ inches above normal rainfall. Well, it certainly is dry now but I can do w/o the 90+ temps! I still have a fair amount of splitting/stacking to do but I'll wait for temps to drop which hopefully will be tomorrow! Then, it's onto the next home project which will be to build the woodshed to store all that dry wood from the AccuWeather projected "warmer" weather.

Today helped a lot with very windy conditions but nonetheless, there are many farmers who may be looking for other lines of work really soon. Hardly anything planted yet around here. I've never seen it this late here. Most will probably give up on planting corn and pray they can get beans in the ground and then get them ripe before the freezing weather next fall. A sad state of affairs.

YUCK!! Better you than me!! :) We had our short hot spell, now back to mid 70's and next to no humidity...let the drying continue! Now I can get back to cutting/splitting. Since I'm a bit ahead of the game I refuse to do wood prep activities when it's oppressive outside.

muncybob said:
YUCK!! Better you than me!! :) We had our short hot spell, now back to mid 70's and next to no humidity...let the drying continue! Now I can get back to cutting/splitting. Since I'm a bit ahead of the game I refuse to do wood prep activities when it's oppressive outside.

In the 50's today, Accu Weather has us at 37 degrees.... Natinal Weather Service has at 35 and the Weather Channel has at 41 tonight so it looks like we will have a small fire tonight.

Zap

zapny said:
we will have a small fire tonight.

Who'd have thought that after the last few days? Heluva roller coaster.

SolarAndWood said:
zapny said:
we will have a small fire tonight.

Who'd have thought that after the last few days? Heluva roller coaster.

Yes and just think Hurricane season just started! :coolsmirk:

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.