Seasoning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuff

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2007
Central NJ
Hello all~

About a year and a half ago my friend cleared several acres of Oak to build a house, we cut all of the 6"-16" rounds to lengths of about 16"-22". I just picked up these rounds that have been stacked on pallets along his property line, in the sun, since around the time they were cut down (1.5yrs ago.) If they are split asap, do you believe they can be burned this winter? I have about 3 cords split and stacked since last year but am looking to possibly use this wood this winter as well.... Thoughts?

Cut and split a piece. Take a moisture reading from the center of the split as soon as it is split. If you don't have a moisture meter, cut a 1" thick cookie from a round. Weigh it immediately using a good kitchen scale. Pop that puppy into the oven at 210-220 °F for six-eight hours. Weigh again. That will give you a good idea how wet this wood might be.

I'd guess not. I have a lot of ~ 6" red oak rounds that are just ready to burn this year, and they have been stacked in good sun/wind for a nearly 3 years. Oak splits take a long time to dry, the rounds take even longer! Cheers!

Its been really humid here in central NJ. Gotta split that stuff ultra small if your gonna try and burn it this year. Keep a good watch on your chimney. I'm hoping for a couple nice windy weeks come October, good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Jimbo, I do not have a moisture meter so I am going to give the "oven test" a try.

Joey, I am also in Ocean county and you're not kidding with the exteme amount of humidity we've been having...

Go to Lowes and get yourself a "General" moisture meter for $25 to $30.
Good, cheap investment.
You can have oak cut in rounds for many years and it can be too wet to burn.
Needs two years at least once it is split. Unless you're in my shoes.
Texas draught with over 100 days of temps well over 100 degrees.
With months of hot, dry wind. A fresh, green stormed downed post oak that I bucked and split just last November was showing 17% by August
It's definitely ready to burn this year.
Same with a water oak I felled in February. It, too, is below 20%.

You never know, you may just get lucky. Another way to get a quick sense of the rounds water content is the weight of the wood. If you handle wood on a regular basis you might know what I mean.

I would say no way. I am done burning rounds of any species. They just dont season fast enough.

JimboM said:
Cut and split a piece. Take a moisture reading from the center of the split as soon as it is split. If you don't have a moisture meter, cut a 1" thick cookie from a round. Weigh it immediately using a good kitchen scale. Pop that puppy into the oven at 210-220 °F for six-eight hours. Weigh again. That will give you a good idea how wet this wood might be.

love it

heus said:
I would say no way. I am done burning rounds of any species. They just dont season fast enough.

Your right, they don't season fast enough yet they give back some long burn times

Yeah, well.... A truck tire will give you a long burn time, too
Probably put out more heat and will foul your chimney about as efficiently.

tbuff said:
Hello all~

About a year and a half ago my friend cleared several acres of Oak to build a house, we cut all of the 6"-16" rounds to lengths of about 16"-22". I just picked up these rounds that have been stacked on pallets along his property line, in the sun, since around the time they were cut down (1.5yrs ago.) If they are split asap, do you believe they can be burned this winter? I have about 3 cords split and stacked since last year but am looking to possibly use this wood this winter as well.... Thoughts?

My best guess is no, that oak will be too wet to burn.

Backwoods Savage said:
tbuff said:
Hello all~

My best guess is no, that oak will be too wet to burn.

+1 ..... Id say no way

tbuff said:
Hello all~

Oak actually gets greener when left in the round. . .

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I will not be burning this wood this year, thats for sure.

Kenster said:
Go to Lowes and get yourself a "General" moisture meter for $25 to $30.
Good, cheap investment.
You can have oak cut in rounds for many years and it can be too wet to burn.
Needs two years at least once it is split. Unless you're in my shoes.
Texas draught with over 100 days of temps well over 100 degrees.
With months of hot, dry wind. A fresh, green stormed downed post oak that I bucked and split just last November was showing 17% by August
It's definitely ready to burn this year.
Same with a water oak I felled in February. It, too, is below 20%.

THAT'S crazy.
like a kiln!

OT

tbuff said:
I do not have a moisture meter so I am going to give the "oven test" a try.

I'd recommend getting a cheap moisture meter, but go ahead with that oven-dry test if you're inclined. It's a good exercise that will make you understand how moisture content in wood is calculated.

You can also do it very quickly with a microwave oven if the sample is small enough. Use a kitchen scale that measures in grams to get an initial weight. Put the sample piece on several paper towels and then on a dinner plate. Give several short bursts (about a minute) on high with a few minutes between each burst. Don't get impatient and go too fast or you will set the sample on fire. If you see white "steam", don't be fooled, it is really smoke. Use an oven mitt to get it out of there, throw it outside, and get another sample. Been there, trust me.

Weigh the piece every five bursts or so. When the sample fails to lose more weight over the course of about five successive bursts, it is done enough for calculations to be made.

Subtract the final dry weight from the initial weight. Then divide the difference (the weight of the water that was originally in the sample) by the dry weight, NOT the initial weight. This method of calculating MC (dry-basis) will correspond with the method universally used to calibrate electronic moisture meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.