Second Defective Chimney Liner Received ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd 2

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2012
NE Ohio
Unrolled my second Flex King Pro chimney liner from Chimney Liner Depot today and it is defective like the first one 2 weeks ago. When you unroll it across the flat floor the inner smooth wall coils pop in and buckle various places throughout (no shipping damage, no dents on outsides, perfectly round)
The first one I can understand but now the second one too... They were easy to deal with when I called about the first bad one, a pic of it and a phone call and they sent a replacement.
Should have went with Rigid like I planned before they told me this way was cheeper and worked just as good ? I questioned cheeper, but the reviews on here seemed to be good also.
View attachment 82166
Hope the turkey turns out better than this flex liner project has !
What would You push towards, or do ? Todd 2

liner.jpg

Speaking of turkeys... After receiving 2 in a row bad one has to question the quality of the company's products for sure.

Reactions: Todd 2
You can buy 50 of those "smooth wall" liners and they are all gonna do it somewhere. One of the reasons I pulled mine and replaced it with single wall.

If you can reach most of the "puckers" with something tap them back down.

You can buy 50 of those "smooth wall" liners and they are all gonna do it somewhere. One of the reasons I pulled mine and replaced it with single wall.

If you can reach most of the "puckers" with something tap them back down.
Thanks for the info BB, I did try on the first one to tap them back down since they did not want it back, but that SS acts like spring stock, it pops right back in. Wonder if I would pay the difference to get rigid, they would do that ?

Just have to ask them. I really don't think the puckers hurt much of anything since there is a sealed single wall liner around the inner part. I think I over reacted on mine but I also had to ovalize it and that made the problem worse.

Are those "puckers" going to catch and rip when you sweep it in the years to come?
Hi bert, that is what I was thinking, it is like a 3/4" strip rapped inside, you snag it with a brush it will unravel and pull out, let alone a place for stuff to build up during use. Might even come unraveled with expansion and contraction. Smooth inside was the whole concept one would think. Todd 2

i just installed one of those and the same thing. home owner wanted it in.
i believe its just what happens with those type liners.

Hi bert, that is what I was thinking, it is like a 3/4" strip rapped inside, you snag it with a brush it will unravel and pull out, let alone a place for stuff to build up during use. Might even come unraveled with expansion and contraction. Smooth inside was the whole concept one would think. Todd 2

Don't worry about that. I have that liner in the woods out back. Good luck pulling that strip loose. Tried it. It is crimped with the outer liner. If you install the liner orient it with the open side of the strip up so the gases flow smoothly up the pipe. Some don't include that in the instructions.

I just put the exact same thing in the farm house install. I kid of straightened it as I put it down the chimney, did not really look down it till I got it all the way down. But I did not see anything like that in the 10 ft or so that I could see looking down the thing?? Of course mine was n0t arrow straight or anything it kind of wandered through the chimney as it was in a 13x21 single brick chimney instead of a clay flue tile that would hold it in place better.

Don't worry about that. I have that liner in the woods out back. Good luck pulling that strip loose. Tried it. It is crimped with the outer liner. If you install the liner orient it with the open side of the strip up so the gases flow smoothly up the pipe. Some don't include that in the instructions.
!!! did not notice this or see it in the instructions, oh well? If I think there is a problem I can always pull it and trun in 180! The fire I had in warmish weather in the 13ish ft chimney did pretty well, once I pulled the insulation blanket out of the flue.

Pulling mine and putting it back in was not going to happen 21 feet up in the air. I had to pull it up from the bottom in the first place. My problem was that the OD with a six inch was too large for my flue tiles so I had to mash the thing to install it which opened up a bunch of those gap. And I too installed it backwards. I burned into it that season and replaced it with a 5.5" single wall the next summer. I wish that I had known and I would have used a 5.5" smooth wall from the start. But a dealer here on the forum has told me his guys have been installing and maintaining single wall liners for 21 years and never had one fail.

In your case you have that interior layer and a normal single wall wrapped around it. Should be bullet proof. That first season with mine included it being tied to my old insert that took off because of a cracked weld and the massive draft putting a liner on it created. That liner saw in excess of 1,500 degrees, who knows the stove top hit 1,425, in two runaway fires before I pulled the stove and the liner wasn't hurt a bit. I used it the rest of the season when I replaced the old stove with the 30-NC and the liner was fine when I hauled it into the woods.

Expensive year 2006 was. :confused:

Them puckers just stroke my fur backwards though Bart. You pay good money for something and you expect it to be right, sorta like buy'in a brand new car with a cracked windshield. I guess Im just to picky, but they will be hearing from me again monday morning.
I asked them (the first one bad with puckers) if that was a defect and they said yes, it should be smooth all the way through, so Im gonna try to bargain for the rigid since mines a straight shot install. Should of stuck with my first plan:( Know what I mean ?

What you need is something you are comfortable with when you are burning a fire in your house. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.