Second load of Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
I mentioned in my other hickory post another free hickory only 2 miles from home. I went and bucked up a small load this morning:

stovewood007.jpg

The Hickory is rivaled only by the Ash laying next to it as far as the lucky score goes. The Ash is a full 37" across the butt end and virtually that large all the way up. The rest of the Ash is laying in the pile also:

stovewood005.jpg

The entire pile has already been limbed out by a tree service. Yes, that's a wonderful gravel driveway the entire pile is laying next to:

stovewood006.jpg

stovewood003.jpg

stovewood004.jpg

It almost makes working up wood in July worth it!

Looks like a great load of free wood. Congrats!
How are you splittig this?
What percentage of wood can you find for free? I don't get much this way - I've given up the truck for a diesel Jetta - and no trailer yet....
Happy burning!

This is the first year I've scrounged. Previously I've cut from my own property. I decided that scrounging would extend my own supply and therefore I've put the word out around the neighborhood that I'll clean up Hickory, Oak or Ash whenever anyone needs it.

My splitter:

PlowSplitter009.jpg

PlowSplitter008.jpg

I haven't worked with this type of splitter. Does it work well? I have a tractor, too, but have been told I'd spend $500 - $1,500 for a splitter.
For that kind of money, I can rent a portable 2-way splitter for $75 for 24 hours. And if my friend(s) are looking for a splitter too, we can share the costs.
But for now, I'm still using the maul, and occasionally a wedge. I'm cutting up 6 cord for 2011 this summer, and it's splitting lilke butter! (My 71 year-old dad's words, as he watches me swing some 24" rounds into 5"- splits.) :)
Free BTU's are the best!

I have an old 3 point splitter that I picked up for $100. Keep an eye out at the local farm auctions, craigslist and EBay and you will find one. It's kind of nice as it doesn't require another motor to maintain or much space to store.

What a great score with easy access to boot, can't beat that. I'm jealous.

Stephen in SoKY said:
This is the first year I've scrounged. Previously I've cut from my own property. I decided that scrounging would extend my own supply and therefore I've put the word out around the neighborhood that I'll clean up Hickory, Oak or Ash whenever anyone needs it.

My splitter:

PlowSplitter009.jpg

PlowSplitter008.jpg

Stephen,
What kind of splitter is that? I saw one on craigslist once for $300. Same color, the owner called it a cantalever style. He did not have the cylinder though. It just looks very odd. Whats the Brand name?

very curious.

Thanks

I've had that splitter for at least 15 years, I'm afraid the markings have long since worn off & I have no idea what brand it is. I love it. I can raise it high enough to hook a wagon tongue under it & go to the woods by myself & split/haul home all in one trip. There are 2 holes for the cantilever, one for stove size (around 20") and one for longer stuff that I've never used. It uses a 4X8 cylinder so the cycle time is plenty fast for me. I sit on a round and feed rounds through it, when I've split all I can comfortably reach, I just move the trator down the log.

Stephen in SoKY said:
I've had that splitter for at least 15 years, I'm afraid the markings have long since worn off & I have no idea what brand it is. I love it. I can raise it high enough to hook a wagon tongue under it & go to the woods by myself & split/haul home all in one trip. There are 2 holes for the cantilever, one for stove size (around 20") and one for longer stuff that I've never used. It uses a 4X8 cylinder so the cycle time is plenty fast for me. I sit on a round and feed rounds through it, when I've split all I can comfortably reach, I just move the trator down the log.

His seemed to have a rod that went towards the tractor, to control the hydraulic lever? Where is your lever located? Last question I promise...can it split logs less then 20"?

Thanks

Actually, I put a remote valve on mine that taps directly into the front end loader remotes under the tractor and thereby avoids the scv's entirely. You may be able to see a bar above th cantilever the valve bolts to. It makes the splitter work faster/better than the tractor scv. However, when I took those photos, the remote valve was on my post driver. If I'm driving posts instead of splitting, I do use the scv on the tractor and merely wire a tobacco stick to the existing lever. Yes, it easily splits down to 17-18" as is. If I need to split smaller, I simply cut a 2" (Or whatever thickness needed) cookie and place it under the shorter round to be split. Ask all the questions you need. I thought we were all here to help each other!

ETA: Like solar & Wood noted above, I really like having one less motor to maintain & one less thing that has to be drug to the woods.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Actually, I put a remote valve on mine that taps directly into the front end loader remotes under the tractor and thereby avoids the scl's entirely. You may be able to see a bar above th cantilever the valve bolts to. It makes the splitter work faster/better than the tractor scl. However, when I took those photos, the remote valve was on my post driver. If I'm driving posts instead of splitting, I do use the scl on the tractor and merely wire a tobacco stick to the existing lever. Yes, it easily splits down to 17-18" as is. If I need to split smaller, I simply cut a 2" (Or whatever thickness needed) cookie and place it under the shorter round to be split. Ask all the questions you need. I thought we were all here to help each other!

ETA: Like solar & Wood noted above, I really like having one less motor to maintain & one less thing that has to be drug to the woods.

Thats sounds like a good idea. I have a seperate valve that controls the clamping teeth on a root rake on my front end loader. I actually hooked up the connectors in the back in case I need it for something just like this. I agree with the idea that less motors to have to deal with the better. I know some guys dont like the 3pt hitch splitters but I'd guess once you get your system down then its as easy as anything else. I especially like being able to set it low enough to just roll a big round on their instead of lifting it.

I'm going to see if the guy still has it for sale. If you get a chance I would love to see a closer picture of how you have it hooked up. Only if you got the time.

Thanks

Mike

Doozer, I'll be happy to post photos, but I won't be switching back until late fall. I don't split much in the heat and I need to do some fencing when the weather breaks early fall. All I can say is I've been very pleased with mine, if you can get one around $200, then add a 4x8 cylinder cheaper than a big cylinder, chances are you could still sell it without losing money when the weather cools this fall.

Stephen in SoKY said:
Doozer, I'll be happy to post photos, but I won't be switching back until late fall. I don't split much in the heat and I need to do some fencing when the weather breaks early fall. All I can say is I've been very pleased with mine, if you can get one around $200, then add a 4x8 cylinder cheaper than a big cylinder, chances are you could still sell it without losing money when the weather cools this fall.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I found the old email and sent the guy a message. I'll see what happens.

Thanks much!

Status
Not open for further replies.