secondary air adjustment on Econoburn boiler....what does that do exactly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
I'm sure it's similar on some of the other manufacturer's units also. Piker had me adjust mine as it was out of spec. I don't understand what that does can someone explain it to me?

The gases produced in the pyrolysis of the upper chamber require the proper amount of oxygen to be added in order for the gasses to combust efficiently as they are heated passing through the coalbed and refractory. The secondary air adjustment accomplishes this by metering the amount of fresh air that is allowed to be passed through the refractory and jetted into the nozzle and mixed with the pyrolysis gasses. Not enough fresh air... poor or no combustion... too much fresh air... poor or no combustion.

Just the right amount of fresh air... voila!! Hot, efficient, torch like combustion.

cheers

Piker said:
The gases produced in the pyrolysis of the upper chamber require the proper amount of oxygen to be added in order for the gasses to combust efficiently as they are heated passing through the coalbed and refractory. The secondary air adjustment accomplishes this by metering the amount of fresh air that is allowed to be passed through the refractory and jetted into the nozzle and mixed with the pyrolysis gasses. Not enough fresh air... poor or no combustion... too much fresh air... poor or no combustion.

Just the right amount of fresh air... voila!! Hot, efficient, torch like combustion.

cheers

Ahhhh, the secondary air enters near the bottom of the upper chamber then passes through the nozzle with the smoke/gasses then??
I must say that it's burning much better now than it was. I can't wait till next year when I have seasoned wood and a properly functioning boiler.

thanks
np

Yes, there are two channels that run directly behind the secondary air adjustement screws. These channels pass through the refractory where the air is heated and then jetted into the sides of the gasification nozzle just a bit below the top of the refractory.

I can only imagine how much better your boiler is working now that you are all adjusted properly. I know you have had a tough year so far... but it seems like if nothing else, it's been a learning experience for you. This forum is a great way for new users and self-installers to gather information. Dealers too. I can't wait to hear your thoughts next season after you have repiped some things, acquired some dry wood, and have everything in adjustment. You will probably be pleasantly suprised. Hope everything works out well for you.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.