Secure basement windows?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave11

Minister of Fire
May 25, 2008
Western PA
I've got three basement windows that face the back of the house, and are at grade, not below grade. They are 60 years old, the hopper style, with wooden frames. They'd be easy to pop open from the outside, and they have no screens, so I'm going to replace them, for security and so they can be more functional.

Can't decide whether to go with glass block (and center vents) or with more traditional sliders. Glass block has added security, but looks out of place sometimes, in a semi-rural setting like I have. Plus with regular windows I can still have the view of the backyard, which I'll lose with glass block.

Lots of folks here live in similar settings. Has anyone found a secure basement window that doesn't look out of place?

Has anyone installed glass block and regretted it?

Consider polycarbonate in steel frames. You might have to site fabricate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

This is very resistant to forced entry. I don't know where you live, but the police might know what worked well in your area.

I put glass block windows in my last house, circa 1900. They did not look bad at all and made the basement a lot drier. I didn't need the dehumidifier after that.

How about glass block in your main level windows too? Seems to me that if someone wants to get into a house, any window can be popped or broken very easily, or door for that matter. But replace the basement with glass block if it makes you feel better.

If you don't want block you could also get tempered glass in a hopper style. Thicker glass panes are available as an option as well. You won't find them at the box store I don't think.

Unless you are putting in a security system it is very easy to break into a house. That's what home owners insurance is for.

woodsmaster said:
That's what home owners insurance is for.

I highly recommend Winchester & Pitbull Mutual :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.