Security lights on sensor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TresK3

Jul 12, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
We have two outside lights (each is a typical double flood light) on the back corners of the house, wired together on the same leg. They are controlled by a total of four switches - one 4-way and three 3-ways. I want to swap out the fixtures for motion sensitive ones. When I got the new fixtures home and read the instructions, it said that you can't put more than one motion sensor light on a switch/circuit, due to possible "interference".

Can anyone think of a way to get both lights to be controlled by motion (and only come on at night - ie: a daylight-off sensor)? I don't care if they both go on and off together or if each is independent. I just want them to stay off during the daylight and come on in response to motion after dark. Is it possible to put in one sensor that would control the whole thing? (Note: if it matters, there are other items on the circuit, but not on the switch leg).

Not sure what this "interference" means. Is it the fact that when one light comes on, it might affect the "daylight" sensor of the other one, keeping it off? (That doesn't seem likely to me.)

TIA!

One sensor.
4 lights no problem providing the sensor is rated for the load side.
2 lights. 2 sensors no problem. Just feed location #2 unswitched.
With sensors you don’t need them switched from 4 locations anyway.

I have two motion activated light fixtures on the same circuit and they’re even both turned on with the same switch. No interference problems. These are the cheap ones from Home Depot with led replacement flood lights.

I have two RAB motion sensor lights (mid-range motion sensor lights) on one leg and they work fine.

Sounds like I need to just wire them both up and give it a try. I'll be very careful putting them up, so if it doesn't work I can return them. It's currently mid-30's and snowy rain here, so I'll probably wait till Wednesday to give it a try.

Now it's off to build a fire in the stove...

Reactions: Highbeam
i've put in motion sensors for years and never heard of any interference. i use the brand name rab. i have only took one down because it failed after 3 weeks. the rest are running. i put up these rab sensors for 28 years. you can put one sensor up and with led floods from home depot. it will hold a lot more seeing that the led's are about 18 watts and rab sensors are good for 500 watts. the led's at home d are the brand CREE. i've been putting up CREE for 7 to 8 years and no problems. they give the light of a 120 halogen bulb.