Seeking OAK advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukefan3916

Oct 13, 2011
pa
Well I am very happy that i have bought a pellet stove. The one problem is the draft that i feel at my feet in the living room. As i have read on this forum installing a OAK seems to help this problem. After this season i am looking to install one. My question is I have a three foot rise inside then go out should i install a thimble with OAK built in or should i make a new hole down near the baseboard. It would look alot cleaner with it down by the baseboard but i have 6 inches of brick to get through and man that is a pain. Any advice or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

As long as it meets requirements. Then do whats easiest. IMHO.

I would make it straight forward. I know it dont help much? But I would make it as Easy as possible.

I have a 3.5 foot wall that I went up over and out. To me, it doesn't distract at all. I painted it black just like the stove pipe. No one has ever commented on it one way or another. I used exhaust pipe I had shaped at the Midas shop. Smooth finish. No complaints here. Got out of it for about $60. And less than a half hour of work. Way simple to do.
I find the only things that look odd about my set up is the air cleaner and the humidifier machines I have sitting near the stove!

the oak will not help the cold draft across the floor much, what you are feeling is the cool air coming back to the stove to be warmed up!

rickwai said:
the oak will not help the cold draft across the floor much, what you are feeling is the cool air coming back to the stove to be warmed up!

Actually what you are feeling is the cold air coming across the floor to be reheated in the distribution chamber and the air to be used for combustion. At a minimum adding the OAK should reduce that by half and assist in reducing the cold air coming into you home.

That is what i figure. I like the idea of doing the thimble with the OAK and painting the pipe black like my exhaust.

i havd split faced block walls. im going to take my oak down through the floor and out the basement window.

i used 3" galvanized dryer vent on my other stove. it was about $15. this run will be much longer so itll be about double that.

the difference in draft is like night and day. after you do it youll wonder why you ever questioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.