seeking recomandation for stihl pro saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
In the market for a stihl PRO saw for felling and bucking , something with 18 inch bar?

kwikrp said:
In the market for a stihl PRO saw for felling and bucking , something with 18 inch bar?

According to the latest reports since weight of a saw should not be an issue I would say either a MS660 or a 460 as a minimum.

what would a good price for these saws ? Dealer recommending ms290 with 18 inch bar $370. Any opinions?

kwikrp said:
what would a good price for these saws ? Dealer recommending ms290 with 18 inch bar $370. Any opinions?

Not to knock the 290 but you specified a pro saw and a pro saw it ain't.

an MS361 w/ 18" bar will probably run you in the vicinity of 600 clams.

Guys have to remember the stihl 361 is an old saw only a few left overs , the replacement is a 362 .
Now to answer your question honestly , really is dependant on what you are cutting . I have many saws and all sizes of bars 16-36 inches . The 260 is considered a pro saw but works best in about 12 inch and under , It will do the occasional 20 plus but will be slower . My thoughts are if you can get in the 4-5 HP range for a saw is a nice all around felling and bucking saw for wood up to and including 24 inches . Saws in this range can be the 310 390 361 362 440 . These saws generally are not real extremely heavy , but I would want a smaller saw for brushing out with the bigger saw , Unless you cut like my brother and once it gets down to 4 inches its left for the rabbits . Most pro loggers will run 660 or 460 but they don't brush out they only limb , ( Big Difference )
Some of your answer lies in how much do you cut a year , for me I am in the 14 plus full cords a year if you are in the normal say 4-8 a 310 is probably a great saw or the 390 , neither is called a pro saw but you will probably be bored with it well before you wear it out with taking some kind of reasonable care for it . I mostly use my 360 -16inch bar and my 361 20 inch bar for bucking until I am down to about 4-6 inches then I use my smaller saws . I use the 460 for anything bigger than 20 bucking . For felling I use mostly My ms 260 for up to about 12 inches and then the 361 up to about 20 and the 460 over 20 . Most of my felling is in the 12-20 inch range . Then for brushing out I will use the 260 or even the 180 .

kwikrp said:

ok how much you cutting a year?

maybe 5 -8 cords/ year. I am running an old jonsered 625 with an 18 inch bar and it fits my needs happily. BUT, it is old and hard to get parts. I had the carb rebuilt last year and they said that they would most like;y not be able to get parts. ( they are a jonsered dealer). So I felled and started to buck up a couple of wild cherry and white oak and after the 3rd tank it would not start. I cleaned are filter and removed spark plug thinking I might have flooded it, I sharpened chain. Then tried to start it again with it back together and it wont start ??? :(
So a stihl with equal qualities to this jonsered would work well for me !!!

kwikrp said:
maybe 5 -8 cords/ year. I am running an old jonsered 625 with an 18 inch bar and it fits my needs happily. BUT, it is old and hard to get parts. I had the carb rebuilt last year and they said that they would most like;y not be able to get parts. ( they are a jonsered dealer). So I felled and started to buck up a couple of wild cherry and white oak and after the 3rd tank it would not start. I cleaned are filter and removed spark plug thinking I might have flooded it, I sharpened chain. Then tried to start it again with it back together and it wont start ??? :(

290 would fit the bill also 310,390 and 361/362 I would go with your pocket book on this one just because All have there place and 8-10 cords you really dont need a pro saw it would be more of a want!

Just seeking reliablity.....with performance !

kwikrp said:
Just seeking reliablity.....with performance !

361/362 would be my frist choice 2nd 390 3rd 310 4th 290 if money no problem..

All-around pro saw = 361/362. And they cure cancer.

S

Webie, I'm digging the little digs here and there!

I am very happy with my ms 310 cut alot of wood in the last few years with it. Averaging 30 plus cord a year and all hard wood. Never has given me a problem but some times I would like to slap a 16 inch bar on it to get more power. I run a 20 inch bar and keep the chain nice and sharp and it cuts that oak like butter. I think I paid 450 for it around 4 or 5 years ago and it has never let me down and always starts right up a little bit of love goes along way with a stihl saw I still have my pops 011av thats over twenty years old and use it quite often.

thinkxingu said:
All-around pro saw = 361/362. And they cure cancer.

S

Webie, I'm digging the little digs here and there!

Nice. The dealer suggested 290 18" for 370.00 sounds pretty decent considering the poundage to power ratio.

What kind of a dealer would recommend a 290 when a customer asks for a PRO saw? One thing I've noticed is that the Stihl dealers in my area don't 'sell' their gear, which is somewhat sad. Although I love my MS250, had the dealer gone over the differences and options on the other saws, he could definitely have sold me on the 361. Now, I have both! Wait...maybe he's brilliant?!

S

thinkxingu, Me thinks your dealer is brilliant. Regardez my signature. Best wishes, John_M

I was just going to mention That you may want to contact a few saw dealers and see what they have used if you are on a budget . I have bought quite a few used saws over the years , that were really nice . You might be able to get into more saw for = to a 290

kwikrp said:
I did some googling on your old Jonsered and If you are looking at a 290 that may actualy be less saw.
What I have found so far is its
3.8 cu. in, 61.5 cc, 4.1hp, 13.6lbs(6.2kg), max. no-load rpm 12500, mfg until at least 1994

RowCropRenegade said:
I really like my Stihl 290. Heard the 391 is the bomb!

I like my 390. I burried all 28 inches of blade cutting up a 4 foot diameter 100 year old oak this weekend. It took about 6 minutes per cut through this monster, sometimes bogging the saw. If I had to do a lot of these types of trees, I would definatly buy a more powerfull saw. But since I run across this type of mother load only rarely, it was nice to see that the 390 could handle it.

Attachments

• FourFtofOakMS390.compressed.jpg
    FourFtofOakMS390.compressed.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 312
HeatsTwice said:
RowCropRenegade said:
I really like my Stihl 290. Heard the 391 is the bomb!

I like my 390. I burried all 28 inches of blade cutting up a 4 foot diameter 100 year old oak this weekend. It took about 12 minutes per cut through this monster, sometimes bogging the saw. If I had to do a lot of these types of trees, I would definatly buy a more powerfull saw. But since I run across this type of mother load only rarely, it was nice to see that the 390 could handle it.

nicely Done!

I have a brand new MS390 with a 16 inch chain that has been sitting in the box for almost three weeks untouched because I've been out of town a lot. Can't wait to get my hands on it. I'm hoping it will be a little bit of an improvement over my little Craftsman. Ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.