Self install - warranty issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mroletta

Hi folks,

I recently bought and installed a Regency Greenfire GFI55 (link = https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80869/ ).

Initially after install, I noticed the convection blower would make a humming noise on setting two. I didn't think much of it, but now the noise has expanded and I hear it on settings 1-3, though it's likely also on 4-5 but the sound is washed out due to the increased airflow. The humming noise isn't normal for a blower, and comes with a buzzing that's cyclical every ~3 seconds or so.

I've pulled out the stove and tightened everything down to make sure it's not a vibration issue. I've pulled out the blower and lubricated it with a few drops of oil, as well placing gasket material where I felt there might be metal to metal contact, but the problem isn't diminished at all.

I ordered a replacement myself to get it installed ASAP, but I'd also like to get the current one on there replaced through warranty since it's only ~3 weeks old.

My question is that the manual states:

"A qualiï¬ed installer must install this stove or ï¬replace. This Limited Warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship only
if the product has been installed in accordance with local building and ï¬re codes; in their absence, refer to the owner’s manual."

Will i get grief for doing my own install? Installing a stove isn't exactly rocket science, and given that my day trade is an engineer, I feel I qualify to do the install myself :p.

Can I just pull out and take the blower to the local company (on my next day off), or will they send someone out here to verify? I'll give them a call as soon as I can, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You might check with your state consumer protection agency. Laws generally prescribe the limits that may be placed on warranties. Armed with that knowledge, you will be better able to work with the dealer to get some help. Most companies are very willing to satisfy their customers. Some are not.

The professional install caveat is to protect the dealer and manufacturer from lawsuits in case a real DA try's his own install. Note the wording about meeting codes, etc.... that's the only thing you should be concerned with. If your stove is damaged due to an improper install they will plead the 5th...

Is the motors shell a bit loose, sometimes the clips aren't properly seated or crimps aren't fully made

After a bit of use they loosen and funny noises start.

With the blower off the stove does it do the same thing on a test cord?

Do you have a mechanics stethoscope you can use to locate the exact point the noise is coming from?

That humming and buzzing noise can also have another source but we won't go there.

Did you install the stove in accordance with code and the manual?

If so you should be fine, they may send someone out to check and they likely will want the failed part back.

Everyone has given great advice so far so I don't have much to add, except that depending on the dealer, it depends if they will need to send someone out to verify, etc. Some dealers are more "easy going" than others. If you mention your background that would help I'm sure.

I did my own install and my dealer has been more than happy to switch out parts under warranty. Saves him a lot of time/money as the trip to my house is not covered under the warranty...just the parts. So, either he charges me a trip charge, or he eats it himself. That all depends on the individual dealer. But, he did see my install when he delivered pellets to me, so he knows I did it right.

To me, having it exact to code doesn't have anything to do with a buzzing blower. It's pretty obvious that the blower is at fault and not in any way related to installation.

I dont beleive you will invalidate the warrantee by doing your own install if you followed the manafacturer's directions. Sounds like an unbalanced fan, or just defective. Did you but it on the internet or from a local dealer? Most local dealers will gladly swap, but internet dealers, well, youre generally on your own there........

All the dealers I went to did not have an issue with warranty and self installation. Already had my auger motor replaced, in home service under warranty and no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.