selkirk adjustable pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
i used the wrong caulk to seal my other stove and had to cut the selkirk pipe to get the stove off. i used a adjustable selkirk piece to reattatch it. i inserted the factory end of the adjustable pipe into the cut end and then put the factory end of the tee into the open end of the adjustable piece. i used tons of caulk and tape to seal it. im still getting alot of smoke on start up and smoke smell throught the burn. any suggestions? this is a 13 foot run that is cemented together because i used the wrong sealer and id hate to have to replace it.

I have some adjustable Selkirk I plan on using for my install this week.why does it matter if vertical ot horizontal?

I have a piece in my set up that is in a vertical position and I haven't had a problem with it. But IMO the way it goes together I would not use it in horizontal position unless you are going to caulk and tape the heck out of it.

I'm having a really hard time visualizing what the OP is describing.

I wouldn't think orientation of the adjustable piece would matter.

Pics?

The adjustable piece just slides on no twist and lock. In vertical position the natural draft keeps it from leaking. In horizontal position the natural draft would be more likely to leak.

smoke show said:
is this selkirk direct temp pipe?

Mine is just PL pellet pipe. Not sure they make a adjustable piece for direct temp?

bigdaddyste said:
smoke show said:

Mine is just PL pellet pipe. Not sure they make a adjustable piece for direct temp?

ok, I'm familar with direct temp.

DT does have an adjustable length pipe.

OP never stated which kind he has.

smoke show said:
bigdaddyste said:
smoke show said:

Wow does the DT just slide on also?

bigdaddyste said:
smoke show said:
bigdaddyste said:
smoke show said:

Wow does the DT just slide on also?

yes, attached with 3 screws if I'm not mistaken.

its a thirteen foot vertical run. plain selkirk pipe. the piece i had to cut was the three foot section above the tee. the cut end of this is where i inserted the factory end of the adjustable pipe. i then inserted the factory end of the tee into the open end of the adjustable pipe. then attached the stove adapter to the horizontal side of the tee. its just a simple vertical run straight up through the roof. im not sure how to explain it any easier. im just wondering if i used the adjustable pipe right. id post pics but i only have a cell phone for internet and for some reason cant post pics to the forum. its an old phone. anyway im open to suggestions. i really dont want to have to redo this whole run through the roof. it was quite a chore.

3650 said:
its a thirteen foot vertical run. plain selkirk pipe. the piece i had to cut was the three foot section above the tee. the cut end of this is where i inserted the factory end of the adjustable pipe. i then inserted the factory end of the tee into the open end of the adjustable pipe. then attached the stove adapter to the horizontal side of the tee. its just a simple vertical run straight up through the roof. im not sure how to explain it any easier. im just wondering if i used the adjustable pipe right. id post pics but i only have a cell phone for internet and for some reason cant post pics to the forum. its an old phone. anyway im open to suggestions. i really dont want to have to redo this whole run through the roof. it was quite a chore.

I could be wrong but I don't think you're supposed to cut the stuff and then put it back together. Sounds like a bit of a hack job to me.

EDIT: If that *IS* acceptable, I know from experience with wood stove pipe that connections should be like this:

| |
|| || <-- pipe joint
| |

bottom

and not like this:

| | ,-- Because smoke can more easily escape here
|| ||
| |

bottom

katman said:
perhaps you still have a gap that your caulk didn't fill.

I think that's why my ex left.

/lol sorry

76brian said:
3650 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think you're supposed to cut the stuff and then put it back together. Sounds like a bit of a hack job to me.

EDIT: If that *IS* acceptable, I know from experience with wood stove pipe that connections should be like this:

| |
|| || <-- pipe joint
| |

bottom

and not like this:

| | ,-- Because smoke can more easily escape here
|| ||
| |

bottom

you are probably right about not cutting, but i didnt see how it would make any difference since a adjustable piece is just a pipe with the end cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.