Selkirk vs duravent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Is there any difference between these 2 companies as far as pellet venting?

IMHO they both make a good product.

Snowy

I have the Selkirt with the bult-in OAK.... good product but it's pretty large in diameter.

Next time I'll still buy Selkirk but us a separate OAK.

Duravents Pellet Vent Pro is good product. I don't use the tape and I have Zero silicone on any of the joints, except the appliance adapter. And no leaks.
Selkirk looks to be the cats meow, only looking at there website and seeing what members on this forum have it. The Outside air is preheated before coming into the stove. Like Krooser said, its a pretty big pipe. The Diameter gets really big if you plan on going from 3" to 4" pipe. They also have vacuum clean-outs at the Clean-out tee, near the stove (if applicable) Having both pipes in one seems to be a benefit. Although I don't know the price, that's the $million$ dollar question. May cost more than your standard pipe (Duravent). At the end of the day, they both get the job done.

One important thing to think about with the pipe in a pipe system is the incoming cold air causes the exh to cool off and drop solids in the pipe. This will shorten the life expectancy of the exh pipe. When the inner pipe starts leaking it will allow the exh to be drawn into the incoming fesh air and cause the stove to run poorly.
Bixby stoves use this system but you can convert it to a seperate pipe for outside air.

rona said:
One important thing to think about with the pipe in a pipe system is the incoming cold air causes the exh to cool off and drop solids in the pipe. This will shorten the life expectancy of the exh pipe. When the inner pipe starts leaking it will allow the exh to be drawn into the incoming fesh air and cause the stove to run poorly.
Bixby stoves use this system but you can convert it to a seperate pipe for outside air.

I only get a little soot... nothing to be concerned with... and the inside vent is stainless steel so it should last a looooog time.

krooser said:
I have the Selkirt with the bult-in OAK.... good product but it's pretty large in diameter.

I think the built in OAK is great to pre-heat the air intake. Why would you want a separate OAK?

Don2222 said:
krooser said:

I think the built in OAK is great to pre-heat the air intake. Why would you want a separate OAK?

The large diameter of the whole pipe is a little distracting... not that I live in some showplace... but a std. 3' vent is almost invisible compared to my set-up.

I don't believe pre-heating the intake air has any advantage, either. But I've been wrong before.

The big issue is if you are burning corn and have a situation like a basement install with elbows and pipe. The exh will be cold by the time it gets outside and the soot particles will remain in the pipe. Corn soot is very corrosive and 3 years is usually the lifetime before it starts to leak in this situation.

rona said:
The big issue is if you are burning corn and have a situation like a basement install with elbows and pipe. The exh will be cold by the time it gets outside and the soot particles will remain in the pipe. Corn soot is very corrosive and 3 years is usually the lifetime before it starts to leak in this situation.

Okay... sounds about right.

I have the pellet vent pro from Duravent and all I can say is that I didn't get rid of the smoke smell until I hit every single joint with foil tape. As expensive as the venting is, you'd think it wouldn't leak. My stove was installed by an experienced dealer too.

madge69 said:
I have the pellet vent pro from Duravent and all I can say is that I didn't get rid of the smoke smell until I hit every single joint with foil tape. As expensive as the venting is, you'd think it wouldn't leak. My stove was installed by an experienced dealer too.

Same here. Just helped with a recent install and the oring seals still leak without silicon or tape. I sealed the crap out of the inside and out on all the in house joints to ride the smoke smell. Outside was just twisted together. We could not find selkirk or ICC vent locally. Duravent is more readily available at most hearth shops.

I also had minuscule leaks from my 4" Selkirk PL vent pipe on the Tee as well as the 45° elbows inside my basement, it was professionally installed by guys who install several pellet burners per week since it's their primary line of business, so they have installed hundreds maybe thousands of varying PL vent setups. I had to lather the entire outside of the elbow area with high-temp RTV silicone as well as applying extra foil tape. I think whenever you have piping with elbows and Tees INSIDE the home, you're gonna get some small leaks now matter how well the pipe was installed and sealed. Pipes that go straight outside and up, or just a straight, short horizontal pipes with a terminator cap seem to never have issues because the gases/exhaust have such a short area of travel outside the house. So even if those pipes aren't absolutely air-tight, exhaust doesn't leak out because it's such a short run of pipe.

You just have to chase the small leaks (best to look for them when your stove is igniting) and use RTV silicone to seal them off where they occur. It took me a few days to take care of the small leaks from my vent pipe (in the elbows and the Tee), but now I have absolutely 0 leaks and NO exhaust smell anywhere near my pellet furnace when it's running.

My vent setup IS a short horizontal run with a 45 elbow at the end for termination, and it still had leaks requiring the use of tape. I just think it's the nature of the beast. No matter how careful you are, you're still likely to get some small leaks. Even if you DO manage to make it leakproof, I'd say it's probably just a matter of time until it springs another ( vibration, heating/cooling, cleaning, leafblower, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.