Semi Trailer Logs / Trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levantou

Jan 4, 2011
Montrose, MI
I am looking to purchase trailer loads of logs / trees that is pulled by large trucks but I don't know where to begin looking. People allow me to cut down some of their trees from time to time but this is my second year burning and I haven't had enough wood to get me through a winter yet. I dont mind the work but I dont have the resources to burn all winter at this point. I have checked Craigslist but with no luck. Thanks for any help you can offer.

I called a local logging company and they sold me a load of logs, tops mainly but lots of good fire wood. If your lucky some of it will have been down for a while. Good luck.

Around here, you'd look up a logger. The wood will be green but they (loggers) will usually have logs that are not up to snuff for saw logs but too good to chip. Just be sure to tell them that you are looking for firewood (hardwood). You need to have a nice size area for them to unload and manuver the truck. A tri-axle load should be about 10 cords, I'm not sure what ammount would be on a tractor trailer, and they really need a lot of room!

I'd try asking neighbors or friends who have big wood piles where they got the wood. Some of the best deals on logs may be through smaller companies who are hard to locate, but maybe someone in the area has their number. Also you will get an idea of the fair price if you ask around.

Levantou said:
I am looking to purchase trailer loads of logs / trees that is pulled by large trucks but I don't know where to begin looking. People allow me to cut down some of their trees from time to time but this is my second year burning and I haven't had enough wood to get me through a winter yet. I dont mind the work but I dont have the resources to burn all winter at this point. I have checked Craigslist but with no luck. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Welcome to the forum Levantou.

There are some sawmills near St. Charles and another near Oakley. You could always go there and let them know your needs. In the meantime, I'll contact a friend who is still in the logging business and ask him about log loads if you would like. Just let me know.

Please bear in mind that if you buy now, that wood will need to be cut to length, split and stacked out in the wind to hopefully be ready to burn by next fall or winter. Buy now and it is just green wood that is full of moisture. It won't burn worth a hoot and you'll have more problems than what it is worth.

Backwoods Savage said:
There are some sawmills near St. Charles and another near Oakley. You could always go there and let them know your needs. In the meantime, I'll contact a friend who is still in the logging business and ask him about log loads if you would like. Just let me know.

That would be great. Any and all contacts that you can share would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to start working on some this year to prepare for the future. I don't want to be in this situation again in the years to come. I have only been able to burn wood that has seasoned for 9 - 12 months and I have read many people suggest 2-3 yrs for optimal burning. Thanks again for all the input.

Okay. I'll see if I can come up with some contacts for you.

I ran across these guys when I started getting into this and kept their information "just in case". It looks like they're out of Harrison, no idea how far they'll travel. I never contacted them but it's worth a shot. http://www.miller-logging-inc.com/ If you contact them let us know how it works out.

2500 Major Mountain Road
Harrison, MI 48625
Ph. (989) 539-1318
Fax (989) 539-7798
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.