separating eko and storage from existing oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard

Sep 17, 2008
central maine
I just fired up my eko 40 with a 500 gallon storage tank through my existing oil boiler system. On the return line from the oil boiler back to the eko and tank there is a zone valve and taco circulater pump. There must be a way to control these so when the eko and tank temperture drop and the oil comes on it does not try heat the storage tank. Is there a control switch that goes to the oil controll panel? Is there a way to shut off the zone valve by temperature?
Thanks for the help.
Dave

There is an output on your EKO setup to turn your oil boiler on when it drops below a setpoint. Are you using this output? If so, I think you could easily use the same output to control that zone valve/pump.

If for some reason you can't utilize the EKO output you could always buy an aquastat to control the pump and zone valve...

bernard said:
I just fired up my eko 40 with a 500 gallon storage tank through my existing oil boiler system. On the return line from the oil boiler back to the eko and tank there is a zone valve and taco circulater pump. There must be a way to control these so when the eko and tank temperture drop and the oil comes on it does not try heat the storage tank. Is there a control switch that goes to the oil controll panel? Is there a way to shut off the zone valve by temperature?
Thanks for the help.
Dave

Without a drawing and maybe more info it will be just guessing as to suggesting a good solution. However, if it is a zone valve you want to disable relative to temp you could use a setpoint controller or an aquastat, even a strap on model, wired in series with the zone valve.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.