Setting for a 55 Cast insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

libirm

Jun 1, 2008
Long Island, NY
So know that I has my stove for a while I am just wondering how to adjust or tweak it to get the most from the stove and a bag of pellets.
I have it set to premium pellets-
But but I compare my flame with the one at the dealer, his flame looks much brighter and has more yellow in it.
Also his stove does not seem to feed as much pellets as mine does.
I am assuming this is because of the adjustments of feed and air trim, but I am sure what to change it too.
Can I adjust while the stove is on?
Please send any suggestion you think I might try.

The auger trim and combustion blower trim do have an effect on the flame and burn time for the pellets. You can adjust this for different types (hardwood or softwood or mix) and manufacturers of pellets. In my stove, I usually set the combustion blower to #2 for Okanagans (softwood) and to #3 for any hardwoods (mostly NEWP). I am currently running Okanagans and as an experiment set the auger trim to #2 as well to see if the heat output vs pellet usage changes much.

The other important factor is the damper setting. Did you do the install yourself or have the dealer install it? The negative pressure (vacuum) of the burn chamber should be between 0.15-0.17 in/H2O (page 19 of the technical manual). If your damper is not adjusted to give the correct burn chamber vacuum, the performance of the burn cycle will be reduced. I adjusted mine and made a noticeable difference in the flame and the heat output.

Thanks Brad-
I did have a dealer install it but he did not check the pressure.
I try a few different setting with my pellets, which are Agway, which i think are made by NEWP.
I post what I find, but it's 50 degrees and climbing- stove is off!

Agway does sell a repackaged NEWP. I find that t hey burn a little dirty in my stove, but the price and heat is good enough to deal with the extra cleaning.

Are you going to verify the burn chamber pressure?

Have the dealer come out with his gauge to set it, That's what I did. The installer didn't adjust anything, But the service tech came and walked me through a bunch of things. I believe we were both learning as I bought the first M55 they ever sold/installed.

Yes one way or another I get it tested- My dealer & installer are one and the same.
Pressure gauge is $50.00 bucks on ebay- maybe my three amigo's who bought stoves will slit it.
So If I understand the Manuel correctly- the burn is adjusted by the slider/damper rod on the side.
What the Manuel says below is a fine tuning of the unit, correct?

COMBUSTION AIR TRIM BUTTON: Increases or Decreases the
Fan voltage by 2.5volts on all feed settings. When pressed all lights
on Heat Level Indicator will come on except the one that is the
set point. Hold Trim Button down and press the UP or DOWN Heat
Level Arrow to adjust setting. #3 Light is the default setting.
Depending on Fuel quality Ignition problems may occur at higher
altitudes, this can be resolved by trimming the Combustion Fan to
a higher setting.
7. FEED TRIM BUTTON: Used in conjunction with the Heat Level
Adjustment Buttons to adjust the Feed Trim. It can be increased
by two (2) feed settings or it can be decreased by two (2) feed
settings. #3 Light is the default setting.

Yes, these are the fine tune adjustments. You should have received two manuals with the stove, a users manual and a technical/install manual. In the technical/install manual on page 19 is the description of the burn chamber pressure and the recommended settings.

http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-12333 Instruction M55C-FPI Domestic Technical Manual.pdf

http://www.enviro.com/images/manuals-brochures/owners-manuals/C-12332 Instruction M55C-FPI Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

Thanks j-takeman. I need to read up on how to create the tinyURL.

OK-
So if I got this right- adjust the slider/damper either with vacuum gauge or if none are available you can use the quality of flame.
Then- you adjust the "computer" to fine tune to get the best heat & pellet "mileage"

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I read the manuals a couple of times but frankly I understand what's said in these forums much better- love these forums- like having a pit crew for your stove!

thanks as always
Yes tell what you learn on posting a shout url, please ;
Found a answer: http://tinyurl.com/
Later
PB

Status
Not open for further replies.