setting = same pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Still confused a little..
Will the following settings produce the same pellet usage and same heat output or no... (englander pdvc)

Bottom 3 buttons = 3-5-1
Heat setting = 8

~ VS~

Bottom 3 buttons = 8-5-1
Heat setting = 3

So are these the same or will it produce different results?

Do the LFF setting and the heat setting have different "jobs"?. My thinking from posts, is they basically have the same function. I will try and test it today I guess to see.

I'm not completely sure on your stove, but on my 2001 the three bottom buttons only affect heat settings 1 and 2.

Mine is a 2009, from what I was told, the bottom three works with all the heat settings.

chrisasst said:
Mine is a 2009, from what I was told, the bottom three works with all the heat settings.

best to ask englander directly.

but I still I still think the example you gave will produce different results.

Putting the heat up to 8 will automatically ramp up the combustion fan to maintain the fuel/air ratio in accordance with 3-5-1. Running at 8-3-1 will probably choke out the fire with to many pellets and not enough air.

chrisasst said:

Chris, you need to call Englander and have the model#, serial#, and the revision# off the control board ready for them. That info should be enough for them to tell you whether or not you have a board where the bottom 3 buttons will have an effect on heat settings above 2.

Might try sending Mike H. a PM or email and ask, as their phones are pretty busy this time of year.

imacman said:
chrisasst said:

Chris, you need to call Englander and have the model#, serial#, and the revision# off the control board ready for them. That info should be enough for them to tell you whether or not you have a board where the bottom 3 buttons will have an effect on heat settings above 2.

Might try sending Mike H. a PM or email and ask, as their phones are pretty busy this time of year.

Hey wait a minute, I was going by post #4 in this thread....
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72214/

:shut:

Yep. Didn't remember that thread. So, sounds like you DO have some control over the higher settings.

So this is my unofficial test results: Picures were taken with the door open..

GEDC0101.jpg

Bottom 3 = 8-4-1
Heat setting on #3
time was 5 hour
This was done this morning when it was still really cold out, heat out put was great. I put a full bag in the hopper (crammed it in there). I measured the amount of pellets used which was 4" down from the inner lip ( under the hopper lid)
Pellet pile up was ok.
Flame was excellent with some actual bluish flame at the base.
GEDC0102.jpg

Bottom 3 = 3-4-1
Heat setting on #8
time was 5 hour
This was done this afternoon when it was starting to warm up out (20 degrees), heat out put was good. Topped off the hopper to where the full bag fits. I measured the amount of pellets used which was 4 1/2" down from the inner lip ( under the hopper lid)
Pellet pile up was good. The T-STAT did kick in so some of the pellets did burn up more.
Flame was good, looks more windy though.

So as far as I can see with my set up, the 8-4-1 with #3 seems better. A little better heat, and less pellets used. I know some variables changed, so not an exact matchup if you will..

I might be a little slow but what are you asking. Do you have a problem or are you asking what is the difference. I use an oven thermometer (it is inaccurate, but, consistent) What are the changes in output temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.