Setting Up my 1st Pellet Stove...vent pipes..vacuum cleaner...whatever..??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigruckus

Jun 2, 2011
Northern Maine, Millinocket
I'm new to this pellet stove stuff and I just bought a new Thelin 3000 for $1500.00...it's my first ever pellet stove..it was a great deal so I decided to burn pellets...firewood is great but it's to much work for me....anyways I need to set this up and get it running...need some info on setting this up...I need to buy vent pipes...a vacuum cleaner and some kind of floor protector...Any info on what I should buy or do would be great..I'm venting into a chimney..only need about a 6' to 7' run on the vent pipe..

Well, you basically know what you need, but get some accurate measurements of
your existing location & take the owner's manual to your local hearth shop(s) &
talk to a professional. You need the centerline dimension & diameter of the existing
wall thimble. You need the centerline dimension of the stove exhaust vent.
You need to have your chimney cleaned & probably inspected so you end
up with a safe install. You may also need a liner - depending on the chimney
condition. After you get a professional's input & his pricing, you will be able to
shop around for the best price if you want to.
Just my $ .02, FWIW...

He has 2 types of venting pipes..Simpson and another type that has a rubber gasket in it...what is the difference of the two..????..as far as my chimney it's good..it's lined and has been cleaned 2 weeks ago..I've burnt wood in it for the last 3 years. What about a vacuum...some of my friends tell me to buy a cheap shop-vac..???

bigruckus said:
He has 2 types of venting pipes..Simpson and another type that has a rubber gasket in it...what is the difference of the two..????

Simpson is a good product, but it tends to leak at the joints.
Additional silicone or aluminum tape can be used to seal the joints,
but tends to look like crap.
One of the brands with RTV silicone inner gaskets is made by ICC & is called EXCEL.
It's a good product, costly, but it has a lifetime warranty. It's what I use on
both of my Harmans

..as far as my chimney it's good..it's lined and has been cleaned 2 weeks ago..I've burnt wood in it for the last 3 years.

You should be good to go there.

What about a vacuum...some of my friends tell me to buy a cheap shop-vac..???

For the first couple of years, I used a small "Springer" shop vac, less than $30 at HD.
I recently bought a more expensive ash vac, strictly so that I didn't hafta worry about melting
any plastic if I sucked up a smoldering pellet...Your call

bigruckus said:
He has 2 types of venting pipes..Simpson and another type that has a rubber gasket in it...what is the difference of the two..????..as far as my chimney it's good..it's lined and has been cleaned 2 weeks ago..I've burnt wood in it for the last 3 years. What about a vacuum...some of my friends tell me to buy a cheap shop-vac..???

If by rubber gasket you mean Simpson PelletVent Pro, then go with that. Do a search and you will find many folks having problems with the Duravent leaking. I personally would find a dealer that sells ICC Excel Pipe as it will be the last pipe you ever buy, IMHO.

Yes, shop vac will do just fine.

We use the duravent pro and havent had a leak issue with it. We did try the ICC pipe on a job, just as a trial. Our installer loved it. No issues on that install either.

Hello

As far as a Hearth goes here are a few ideas:

1. Buy a nice tiled hearth pad for approx $250

2. Throw down a piece of plywood then put the patio paver’s on top. bingo! (Approx $100)

3. If you have a sliding mitre saw and a table saw, buy some 2x4 lumber, plywood, cement board, porcalin tile, grout, mastik, trim boards and Red Rope light and make a raised hearth with a lighted tile back and mantel with candles!

I did that in only 3 months after work and on weekends!
Only cost $600 plus my labor!

Oops forgot to mention the black grill. It is a 220 volt 900 watt electric kickspace heater to warm my feet when the stove is down for cleaning!

This guy made a nice corner hearth >> https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/64373/

Good Luck !!!

Attachments

• PS1PelletStove 013SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 013SC.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 441
  • PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 016SC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 453
  • PS1PelletStove 020SC.jpg
    PS1PelletStove 020SC.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 450
  • PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    PS3PelletStoveBackPlane&Connection 240sc.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 441
Franks said:
We use the duravent pro and havent had a leak issue with it. We did try the ICC pipe on a job, just as a trial. Our installer loved it. No issues on that install either.
i also use duravent pro with no leak issues

Just an idea, if you're using a plastic wet/dry vac, leave an inch of water in the bottom, so if any hot ambers get sucked up you don't have to worry about melting a hole through the plastic, and don't run it with the filters in, use it as if you're sucking up something wet. That way the filters can't set a fire, and the water in the bottom should collect the ashes so they aren't being forced out with the exhaust.

longlivethejeep said:
Just an idea, if you're using a plastic wet/dry vac, leave an inch of water in the bottom, so if any hot ambers get sucked up you don't have to worry about melting a hole through the plastic, and don't run it with the filters in, use it as if you're sucking up something wet. That way the filters can't set a fire, and the water in the bottom should collect the ashes so they aren't being forced out with the exhaust.

Have you ever tried this method YOURSELF? Just wonderin'.

longlivethejeep said:

You MUST use a fine filter, suitable for sheetrock dust, or you'll find fine dust on EVERYTHING in your house after vacuuming.

hossthehermit said:
Have you ever tried this method YOURSELF? Just wonderin'.

No, I sure haven't. I just got a pellet stove, haven't even set it up yet. I did that when I was vaccuuming some kind of dust in my basement once, when I didn't have a filter to use. Happen to think of it when I ran across this link. Maybe it won't work, I don't know, it was just an idea. If you were to just use a shop vac, anyways. The point of the water in the bottom would be to prevent dust from flying back out of the shop vac, but like I said, maybe it wouldn't work???? I only suggest not to use the filter because if you DID suck up an amber, you could easily ignite the paper filter or prefilter and cause a fire. I offer no professional or experienced advice on the matter, was just an idea (thought of doing it myself to save the $200 ash vaccuum).

hossthehermit said:
Let the ashes get cold.

X2.. and use a Fine (HEPA) Filter. The water trick will not work for the ash. Your Wife/Girlfriend will not be happy with the amount of dusting she will be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.