Shag Bark - got it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
Went back and got the 15 ft trunk the size of a trash can that I had previously quit on. I bought some new files (duh moment) and my farm boss cuts like new again - like a beast! I had to cut from both sides - but it was a cinch. I am so glad I didn't give up as it's another fine pickup load of shagbark hickory (4 from 1 tree). Stuff is hard as rocks and dry. Will be great next year!

The homeowner has another tree for me. I took a picture of a leaf, but don't need to post it. It's a smooth silver bark tree with a long straight trunk. Owner said it was maple but I disagree. The leaf is a broad teardrop with teeth. I looked it up and feel it's ASPEN. Very low on the scale of BTU's. I am going to pass on it, considering I have another hickory, 2 oaks, and an ash tree still to take.

Hey look - I've become a tree snob!

This shagbark is the hardest wood I have seen. I can't break it with anything but wedges and even they struggle. It will surrender to hydraulics when I rent a splitter! I will wait until I've cut everything on my list and then commence to splitting. 6 pallets already laid up for 2013.

Bass,

You don't want to burn that shagbark... It burns to hot and far to long. I am close to you in PA so I will stop by and get rid of that crap for you. NICE SCROUNGE !!!!

Shawn

basswidow said:
The homeowner has another tree for me. I took a picture of a leaf, but don't need to post it. It's a smooth silver bark tree with a long straight trunk. Owner said it was maple but I disagree. The leaf is a broad teardrop with teeth. I looked it up and feel it's ASPEN.

That sounds like it could be beech, which is excellent firewood....might be worth a pic on here to confirm.

I'll post up a pic tonight.

It's tough to pass on because I can back the truck right up to it. I love an easy scrounge like that.

lukem said:
basswidow said:
The homeowner has another tree for me. I took a picture of a leaf, but don't need to post it. It's a smooth silver bark tree with a long straight trunk. Owner said it was maple but I disagree. The leaf is a broad teardrop with teeth. I looked it up and feel it's ASPEN.

That sounds like it could be beech, which is excellent firewood....might be worth a pic on here to confirm.

+1

Backwoods Savage said:
lukem said:
basswidow said:

+1

+2

Snag it, it's almost as good as shagbark and seasons a lot faster. Be careful, though, a lot of beech is hollow and can be tricky to drop.

Posted a pic of the leaf's in a new thread. so I welcome the guesses. I need to go back and check for beech pods and get a better look. It's a good size tree - tall and long and bigger around then a 5 gal bucket.

All this guessing - I guess I'll cut it and see what I get. I hate soft wood. Seems a waste if I have better wood to get. Better safe then sorry later.

basswidow said:
Went back and got the 15 ft trunk the size of a trash can that I had previously quit on. I bought some new files (duh moment) and my farm boss cuts like new again - like a beast! I had to cut from both sides - but it was a cinch. I am so glad I didn't give up as it's another fine pickup load of shagbark hickory (4 from 1 tree). Stuff is hard as rocks and dry. Will be great next year!

The homeowner has another tree for me. I took a picture of a leaf, but don't need to post it. It's a smooth silver bark tree with a long straight trunk. Owner said it was maple but I disagree. The leaf is a broad teardrop with teeth. I looked it up and feel it's ASPEN. Very low on the scale of BTU's. I am going to pass on it, considering I have another hickory, 2 oaks, and an ash tree still to take.

Hey look - I've become a tree snob!

This shagbark is the hardest wood I have seen. I can't break it with anything but wedges and even they struggle. It will surrender to hydraulics when I rent a splitter! I will wait until I've cut everything on my list and then commence to splitting. 6 pallets already laid up for 2013.

We have lots of Shagbark here and some Pignut Hickory.
Spitting Hickory green......man it gets "Hairy"
Shagbark can be baby smooth at the crown.
Now go get some Black Birch !

WoodButcher

Attachments

• hickory_001.jpg
    hickory_001.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 194
  • shagbark_07.jpg
    shagbark_07.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 202
  • shagbark_01.jpg
    shagbark_01.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 186