Shagbark Hickory. How long before it gets too punky?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MICHAEL H

Dec 24, 2009
se indiana
The reason I ask. Its going to be hard to get to. Hard to get out. But I have used it before and know it will be worth it if its still good. Top that has been down about 4 years. Off the ground. Just some thoughts before I venture down the mountain and over the other side.

Run Forrest Run. I cut 5-6 Hickory snags yearly,they are usually good up to 4-5 years when standing.Once they are lying on the ground,they can be pretty soft in 3 or less though,especially if in a damp area or if you've had lots of rain and or snowmelt in past several months.Various fungi,insects get to it quick.

I think you have to cut some before you'll know. Four or five years is probably too long if it is laying on damp ground, but probably fine if it is off the ground in a windy or sunny spot. hickory rots faster than oak.

You have to examine the wood. I don't mind an inch or two of punk around an otherwise good log. If it's wet, it can act like a sponge. But, a little bit of dry punk is like a built in fire starter. Inside, the log may be rock hard and be some of the best burnin' wood you've ever had. But if the punk is really thick, I'd probably spend my labor on more worthy wood. BUT, remember where that wood is. You might run short some winter and that stuff could get you by for a while.

funny you should ask.

i agree with all of the opinions/observations thus far.

i cut at the logging yard next door and there was some collateral damage to a few hickories. i scooped some last year and it was punky in spots but i burned it anyway. i went back YESTERDAY and the bottom of the same tree i cut from last year was still there. it was in varying stages of punk-ism with some fugii, but there was plenty of good heartwood left and i couldn't resist burning some last night. my house went from 68 degrees (burning cherry) to 75 in a half hour with the 'punky' hickory. god i love that stuff. i have (only) about a cord of two-year seasoned pedigree shagbark for this year. i'm wating till it gets below zero to burn that stuff.

OT

Thistle said:
Run Forrest Run. I cut 5-6 Hickory snags yearly,they are usually good up to 4-5 years when standing.Once they are lying on the ground,they can be pretty soft in 3 or less though,especially if in a damp area or if you've had lots of rain and or snowmelt in past several months.Various fungi,insects get to it quick.

Just tops +1

All great replies. I am heading out Monday to give it a shot. I am amped up by the 68 to 75 degrees with less than perfect hickory. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Hickory snag discovered late July 2011
Dropped & hauled in late August 2011

Attachments

• east view of hickory stack that needs split 83111.jpg
    east view of hickory stack that needs split 83111.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 247
  • cart with new plywood gate 83111.jpg
    cart with new plywood gate 83111.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 235
  • top of just dead hickory snag82011.jpg
    top of just dead hickory snag82011.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 221