Shaggy Mane aka Inky Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
If I don't supplement this post I'm either in shroom heaven or in good health after savoring some excellent cuisine. Spotted a nice crop of mushrooms in grassed over driveway; 3rd year these have come up. Matched lots of pictures and descriptions and decided with high confidence that these were Shaggy Manes aka Inky Caps. I tired a very small piece early this am, no problem; a larger piece at noon, no problem; and now a couple of small ones two hours ago, no problem.

There is a problem: these things are good. Dipped the small ones in an egg/milk mixture, rolled in cornmeal and flour with a little salt and garlic, and then sauteed in olive oil.

These are supposed to be one of the three foolproof mushrooms, others being morels and puffballs, although the sulfur shelf might also be in that foolproof category. I have picked morels, so the shaggy mane now is the second mushroom that I've had the courage to pick. Maybe the puffball next.

Did I do myself in? or will I survive to enjoy again? Any great recipes for these? If the past holds, I should get another crop yet this fall. The darn things last not much more than a day or two before they dissolve into black goo.

Jim,

The Shaggy mane is very easy to ID and there are no dangerous look alikes I'm aware of. That said, I would highly recommend you join a local mushroom club and learn from more experienced collectors. You didn't really say what level of scrutiny you applied to your id but I would hope you looked at spore color, gill attachment, habitat etc...

Shaggy manes are very tasty and I enjoy them as well. This mushroom is in the genus Coprinus and there are some others in this group that can cause adverse reactions with alcohol. Fortunately, the shaggy mane is not one of them. You should also be aware this mushroom can absorb higher than normal concentrations of arsenic from the soil. You are likely to find this mushroom anywhere you would see a "contractors grade" of grass and they seem to prefer disturbed soil. Avoid collecting this mushroom along roads, railways, golf courses, pristine manicured lawns or anywhere else you think might have soil contamination.

Regards,

Jerry

Attachments

• Coprinus_comatus.jpg
    Coprinus_comatus.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 234
Good info - I survived to enjoy again. Will eagerly await the next bloom.

Hi -

I have eatten bushels of them over the years. Enjoy! I like that they are pretty unpredictable. Local kids let me know when they spot them.

If I hit a big crop I'll fire up several pans at once since they all have to be proccessed and cooked right away.

Enjoy,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.