Shaky...Shaky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stump_Branch

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2010
MD
I love the insurance commercial “ I’m a random wind storm…shaky, shaky.â€

Friday took a few trees out. before I got out of work the wife called and said there was an Oak laying across the shared private driveway. Been dead standing for some time. Well I didn’t make it home in time to play with the saw, apparently the neighbors cut it up. stacked in my front yard. Well Saturday as I’m letting to dogs out I notice a blow down in my back yard. Super Score, Black Locust. So I got to play with the saw anyhow. (I’ll get pictures on here soon)

I have yet to figure out who all burns on the short little ‘block’ I live on, I know the one neighbor does, but my guess is a standard issue fireplace. Apparently someone made the comment how I have three years worth of wood…Ha I wish…must not be true burners. I only have maybe a year.

My question is since I didn’t cut the wood up, and it’s really no one’s property that boarders our drive, should I offer the wood to the neighbor? I don’t see myself as really being out much, I have access to and have lots of Oak on hand. I truly am more ecstatic that I have the Locust, so a sign of good faith and being neighborly I think I will just offer the wood to them. I would like to spilt it up first but….I do it by hand and have enough to keep myself busy…thinking just offering the wood ought to be good right?

I think you should just offer the wood as is. If the neighbor mentions a problem with splitting the wood, you can then offer to help split ot whatever you want. Odds are nobody but you wants the wood, so I'd just keep the offer simple and quick. If you had a neighbor you thought needed help that would be another story.

Wood Duck said:
I think you should just offer the wood as is. If the neighbor mentions a problem with splitting the wood, you can then offer to help split ot whatever you want. Odds are nobody but you wants the wood, so I'd just keep the offer simple and quick. If you had a neighbor you thought needed help that would be another story.

Just a quick and simple +1. Couldn't say it better.

I mean the guy burns, has the average backyard stack. im sure he would appriecate. was thinking maybe a few limbs of the locust for helping the wife out when i wasnt home. all are pretty good neighbors.

but your right i bet im the only "hearth" member....

Stump_Branch said:
I mean the guy burns, has the average backyard stack. im sure he would appriecate. was thinking maybe a few limbs of the locust for helping the wife out when i wasnt home. all are pretty good neighbors.

....and if he says something about splitting being tough you could say "hey, I've got some oak already split, you want some of it instead of this?"....that is, if you really would like to have the locust. Just a thought. Ed

Stump Branch: Howdy neighbor, looks like the wind got the best of that old tree. Don't want it to rot and I see you enjoy a fire too. I've got plenty and more on the way so if you want it, I'll help you move it. It really needs to get split and stacked so it can season over the summer.

Neighbor Billy Bob: Thanks, that's right neighborly of you. I see that you have about 10 years worth out back so you don't really need it but how bout we split it together since I don't really have the equipment and then we'll share the wood.

Stump Branch: Sounds good. I've got everything we need and it'l give us a chance to get to know each other a little. By the way, thats not really 10 years worth out there. It might get me through next winter because I refuse to pay the oil company and I'm addicted to the glow.

Neighbor Billy Bob: Really, you heat completly with wood? I've got a nice fireplace but unless you sit next to the fire it's not that warm and the furnace kicks on all the time when I burn.

Stump Branch: Well let me tell you about this nice little web site called hearth.com.

And that's how we grow.....

ah how i love the marketing efforts of hearth!

I think i will have to stop by and let him know its his for the taking. Wish i could get home at a decent hour. i have wanted to ask what he is burning in for some time. no smoke from the chimney...

speaking of, i am typically a oak guy, but threw in another piece of locust last night...that one round last through a reload of oak...and boy i sure do like that heat.

Stump_Branch said:

Dont bet on it. We are 6 member strong(+other friends) and all live within 25 miles....Looks like a firewood army showing up! Light Calvary to heavy infantry's, and a couple small cannons...

Status
Not open for further replies.