Shameless Tree ID.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt7546

Sep 28, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Mixed in my recent score of Locust was this wood. I'm new at this wood thing and only recognize wood that I have already had (locust/sycamore/sugar maple..)

ID%201.jpg
ID%202.jpg

That Looks like Cherry to me.

Thanks Fsr, I only had cherry once but it was all one color and much darker.

+1 on the cherry. There are variations of all woods.

Bark is cherry-like ('scaly'), but looks like pine to me - I don't remember seeing sapwood like that in the cherry I've cut. Perhaps I need more coffee.....

Cheers!

Also looks like a pine to me too, but that could easily be solved with a sniff test or sticky sap.

The bark screams Pine, but the heartwood doesn't. Split one. That will take more of the guess work out of it.

Adios Pantalones said:
I think it's a connifer,

'round these parts, if it has needles, its a pine. %-P

My first thought when I saw the bark was spruce . . . but the inner wood looked a bit like cherry . . . looking at the needles or leaves will help give us a little more of a clue if they are available.

It's some sort of mutated chery-spruce hybrid! :lol:

The bark definitely looks like some sort of conifer... not sure what types of conifers you guys have back that way...

looks a bit like yellow pine, but I don't think that grows naturally in Pa.

That for sure is cherry, I just took another one down the other day.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• black_cherry.jpg
    black_cherry.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 357
  • WB_Cherry.jpg
    WB_Cherry.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 338
sgt that is cherry, another good find.

I recently started milling some.

Attachments

• cherry2.jpg
    cherry2.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 335
GolfandWoodNut said:
sgt that is cherry, another good find.

I recently started milling some.

Mighty nice looking.

Definitely black cherry. Enjoy the fragrance burning it.

Only one way to tell . . . cut a slice off and lick it . . . if it tastes like a bowl full of cherries you've got cherry . . . if it tastes like Christmas you've got a spruce. And yes . . . I am just kidding . . . although the smell of a fresh split or bucked piece of this wood might help you ID it . . .

Bark looks like an old cherry, but the heartwood colors are deceiving.
That outer ring sure is a bit too orangy looking
Usually can tell by the smell though.

billb3 said:
Bark looks like an old cherry, but the heartwood colors are deceiving.
That outer ring sure is a bit too orangy looking
Usually can tell by the smell though.

If you look at the log I milled earlier you will see the sapwood goes from white to orange almost as soon as you are done cutting it. I am 99.99 % sure it is cherry.

Well after I got the splinters out of my tounge as Jake suggested, I went down and took another look at a couple more rounds. The tree was cut over 72 hours ago and now the color is dead on to the color of the wood that GolfandWoodNut is milling. Also no sap, no smell of pine. I'm voting cherry.

sgt7546 said:
Well after I got the splinters out of my tounge as Jake suggested, I went down and took another look at a couple more rounds. The tree was cut over 72 hours ago and now the color is dead on to the color of the wood that GolfandWoodNut is milling. Also no sap, no smell of pine. I'm voting cherry.

But what did it taste like . . . or did the pain from the splinters in your tongue distract you? ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.