Sharing a flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Can I share a flue with my oil furnace?, I dont use the furnace very much, could i run a 3" flex pipe in my basement up the cleanout ?, of course blocking off the cleanout plate, or what about adding a 3" pipe into the side of a 6", my furnace pipe is probably 5 feet long into chimney from the lowboy furnace.
Just thinking of options to heat my cellar with a freestanding pellet stove instead of using kerosone heater......

Or maybe removing my cellar window and piping out from there?

sharing flues is a no-no

Pellet-King said:

That's my vote! Box in the window completly and insulate it good. Also don't forget to put some rise for snow clearance on the outside. And watch the EVL.

Best to check your local code before you start.

This is just to use to heat my man cave, have a PJ with a big screen and we watch football every sunday down there, get's cold down there during dec-feb
Seems houses with hot weater heating are warm in there cellar's, not forced air.

Pellet-King said:
Can I share a flue with my oil furnace?, I dont use the furnace very much, could i run a 3" flex pipe in my basement up the cleanout ?, of course blocking off the cleanout plate, or what about adding a 3" pipe into the side of a 6", my furnace pipe is probably 5 feet long into chimney from the lowboy furnace.
Just thinking of options to heat my cellar with a freestanding pellet stove instead of using kerosone heater......

Weeeelllllllllllll............. there seems to be a grey area in the codes, depending on where you are. If they aren't running at the same time......... check your local codes..........and your homeowners insurance policy............and, maybe............

Sharing a flue makes the installation non compliant with the manufacturers installation manual and in most jurisdictions that means it violates code.

Check with your code enforcement folks.

hossthehermit said:
and, maybe............

NO

GetAttachment1.jpg

Don't be confused by the possibility of correctly commingling the draft of like fuel appliances

but this is not one of those

I think "many" cellar windows are directly below windows for the first floor of the house... Venting out the cellar might require additional pipe to vent it away from the window.

Here is a detailed article on both the unsafe and potentially safe practices of shared flues, with due attention to the risks in both cases. Regardless, as stated above, your local codes and the whims of your insurer prevail. Also note the OEM's installation instructions. If you don't follow them, then you void the certification by the standards body (e.g., UL, CSA), and likely hence your insurance.
http://www.inspectapedia.com/chimneys/Shared_Chimney_Flues.htm

I would say to be safe run a separate flue pipe and dont risk the hazard of sharing a flue. Better safe than sorry, and your code probably prohibits sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.