She may not be much to look at, but she puts out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

With the warm fall, I have not been in the woods. Started burning late Oct, and it's been about 90% pine/hemlock slab, 2% Red Oak rounds, 2% Pine splits, 5% other. Three day cold snap here, and wanting to try the new-to-me tractor in the woods. Teens and low 20's are out of reach for an 8 hour Pine slab burn, so it's off to the woods!

Couple of standing dead Birch
No chainsaw required! Two chains and a 40' cable :)
While I'm right there, a perfet piece of Red Oak laying there the past 10 years. Grab that!
Since the landowner is kind enough to let me take this stuff, I am nice enough to keep the road open. Damn Aspens keep toppling in windstorms.
I can honestly say, some of you guys have made me think twice about HOW to cut. I decided to cut the top one first. Pretty much just laid down. The second one . . . I just went slow. Each time it cracked I pulled out (teenage Birth Control) and let it settle down. Eventually she snapped, with no ill effects to me or the saw.
Dragged that junk out of the way, prolly use it in a staging area for stacking logs up off the ground. By now it's getting dark, so I return to the Birch/Oak, chunk it, load it in the bucket and head home in the dark.
Not sure if you can see the extent of the punk on the grey birch. Light as a feather, Approximatly 50% punk. Since it was supposed to be cold last night, I tested some of the punky birch. lit nearly IMMEDIATLY, yet sustained a great fire. Funny thing is, I got that load to use these couple nights, but that Oak is WAY to good to justify using now!! :wow:

You can keep those blow downs from slapping you in the face using a tongue and grove cut.
Make your bottom cut first but not so deep as to pinch the bar. Then a foot or 2 closer to the stump make your top cut . This releases the pressure without the stump flying up for a kiss. Then from the safety of the tractor pull it apart and the stump will flop down as you are out of the way.

9 times out of 10 if a birch is down, its at least partly rotted. Looks like you got some good wood for the rest of winter.

On heavy leaners we make a plunge cut. Start with the usual notch. Instead of the normal felling cut, plunge the saw in, keeping holding wood at the back and cut to the hinge. Then cut the holding wood last.

Saw the title and immediately knew who the author would be! Looks like easy splitting and good burning!

Danno77 said:
Saw the title and immediately knew who the author would be! Looks like easy splitting and good burning!

How did you know and what is that woman pointing at in that Avator

cptoneleg said:
Danno77 said:

1. Double entendre
2. I dunno, but if you ask ISDBTUs it'll be something perverted, lol.

uncontrolabLEE said:
You can keep those blow downs from slapping you in the face using a tongue and grove cut.
Make your bottom cut first but not so deep as to pinch the bar. Then a foot or 2 closer to the stump make your top cut . This releases the pressure without the stump flying up for a kiss. Then from the safety of the tractor pull it apart and the stump will flop down as you are out of the way.

Good advice Lee.

Lots of good wood there.
, no injuries or stuck saws :)
Good job
Is that a trace of snow?

Sounds like one of my ex's lol

[quote author="ISeeDeadBTUs" date="1322881219"]With the warm fall, I have not been in the woods. Started burning late Oct, and it's been about 90% pine/hemlock slab, 2% Red Oak rounds, 2% Pine splits, 5% other. Three day cold snap here, and wanting to try the new-to-me tractor in the woods. Teens and low 20's are out of reach for an 8 hour Pine slab burn, so it's off to the woods!

Looks like u r staying busy with all that wood down, nice work.

zap

cptoneleg said:
Danno77 said:

I reckon that avatar woman is pointing at a tree.

Probably not wearing the right clothing to get stuck in with a chainsaw though...... ;-)

Ah, poplars not so bad . . . at least during this time of year . . . burning it now lets you save the good stuff for later on when it really is cold and you need the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.