Shelburne Museum Stove and hearth pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishingpol

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2010
Merrimack Valley, MA
Various antique stoves. The first soapstone stove was built around 1876 if I recall. The train station heater was beautiful. There was one on the other end of the station almost identical, except missing the middle ring. One pic is of a harness makers shop with a little potbelly stove in the middle. Sorry about the sideways pic.

Attachments

• DSC09669.jpg
    DSC09669.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC09676.jpg
    DSC09676.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC09677.jpg
    DSC09677.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC09678.jpg
    DSC09678.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC09683.jpg
    DSC09683.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC09684.jpg
    DSC09684.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC09690.jpg
    DSC09690.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 376
nice picts. reminds me of some stoves i've seen at some camps.

If thats the the Shelburne Museum in VT that is an awesome museum. Haven't been in fifteen years. There just something so cool about a blacksmith shop . . .

Yes, it is. The blacksmith shop did not open until 12:00 pm. We covered that half of the grounds in the morning, and did not have time to go back. You really need 2 days to fully cover that place.

That old soapstone looks similar to the ones made by Woodstock today.. Nice pics thanx!

Ray

Yes, it looked like the Fireview with its' pointed arch. The one in the picture looks like a baseburner. There were so many fractures in the stone on that one.

The castings on that soapstone are very much like the Fireview.

Nice pictures.

Backwoods Savage said:
The castings on that soapstone are very much like the Fireview.

Nice pictures.

That was my initial thought.. Bet Woodstock fashioned that stove on that old classic.. Smart move on their part, timeless beauty!

Ray

The model number on that one was No. 2. I wish I had time to look it over for the manufacturer. The stoves and other pieces are not of museum quality, but pieces of a collection gathered over the years to show what early american life was like.

I have other pictures I'll put up in the next few days of a few taxidermy mounts of 3 Alaskan Brown bears that were enormous. There is a log cabin that houses the unbelievable mounts. There was also a collection of early Vermont rifles. Those pieces were absolutely beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.