shenadoah r75

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

99oilburner

Feb 1, 2010
southcentral pa
can anyone tell me anything about this stove i just got it from a friend for my garage it is round and has fire brick in it and looks to be i good shape looks like you can burn coal or wood it this stove it looks like the 65 but i think it has a different thing to regulate the air i would say it is to be regulated maually. thanks for any help Brad

I think the round one is the 65 and the square one is the 76 or 77, etc.
This is the current manufacturer - they may have some info.
Pics included here are the R-65
Most of them have bimetal thermostats to control the draft.....they burn wood or coal.

Attachments

• Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,462
I am sitting about ten feet from my Shenandoah which is putting out good heat as I type. I bought mine back in '75 and at that time if one wanted to burn coal you needed to order it for that. Perhaps your model comes for either wood or coal. The difference, if I remember correctly, was the steel ring around the bottom of the fire chamber, the ring that holds the grate, was beefed up substantially for coal. Great stoves, we love ours.

99 we had both those stoves and they were good wood burners. I was told the R65 like you have, would burn coal but never tried it since free wood is an easy take for us. The only weak link is the bi-metal thermostat that's behind that low, medium high control knob. You may as well buy them 2 at a time...unless you want to juke 'em with some wadded up tin foil holding the incoming draft flap open.

The only manually operated air is located above the handle in the middle of the door. There you'll find a 5 in piece of metal that rotates up and down to reveal an air hole. We only used that when we tried to burn locust coals down. Tip...before loading over an established fire shake the ash down...and NEVER let the ash touch the shaker grates. You can level the ash through the ask pan with a bent poker.

If your garage contains any POL the vapors will lay on the bottom of the floor if a spark jumps out of the stove..KABOOM!

how do you know if the air control thing is good or bad

Huh? Do you mean how would you know if the bi metal thermostat works OK?

Hummm it's been awhile but they don't hold an even fire. Either the fire wont stay lit very well. Or, it burns too hot fast then out. That's why I suggested the tin foil work around to prop it open half way.

The thermostat is linked by a small chain to small flapper type air intake damper. When it works correctly the heat from the fire affects the bi-metal to open or close depending on how you set the low medium high control knob. It's was good for 70s tech.

Thing is I can't remember if the flap was either all open or all closed when the thermostat failed.

An R75 is a model I'm not familiar with so things may be different. We had the R 65 and R77

Here's their home page you can have a look see for more info.
http://sierraproductsinc.net/pages/shenandoah.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.