SHHH! Dont tell anyone Milling goes main stream....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duuuuude I'm gonna be a star!!! LOL when I got my mill in 1993 it was mail-order,before Internet & video cameras were in their infancy. :lol:

Nice to see the word getting out though.Granberg has been making these attachments,with constant improvements & upgrades for 50 yrs now.Back then I looked at band saw mills -even the cheapest smallest Woodmizer was $4 or 5 thousand,and no where near portable.Whether in my backyard,someone elses in town or out in the sticks somewhere - nice to carry 50lb saw/mill in & the planks out,even though it takes a bit more time.

Thistle said:
Duuuuude I'm gonna be a star!!! LOL when I got my mill in 1993 it was mail-order,before Internet & video cameras were in their infancy. :lol:

Nice to see the word getting out though.Granberg has been making these attachments,with constant improvements & upgrades for 50 yrs now.Back then I looked at band saw mills -even the cheapest smallest Woodmizer was $4 or 5 thousand,and no where near portable.Whether in my backyard,someone elses in town or out in the sticks somewhere - nice to carry 50lb saw/mill in & the planks out,even though it takes a bit more time.

Yea there just a litte behind the curve...., But cool that were not the only Crazy Boys! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Yea there just a litte behind the curve...., But cool that were not the only Crazy Boys! ;-)

We were cool before the masses. Though I normally act like a smartass ba dum bum.

holy crap I must be delerious with heat stroke or sumthin :gulp: 94 & still climbing here

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

We were cool before the masses. Though I normally act like a smartass ba dum bum.

holy crap I must be delerious with heat stroke or sumthin :gulp: 94 & still climbing here

Yea the humidity is like 750 percent here! Would want that dust flying today...WOW

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Dropping the first tree we will mill this week, paint the ends then mill up some pine on the weekend.

zap

Post lots of Picks....I would say the 511ax is just in time that will make life much easier!

Be cool to get all tree kits together some day and really hot lap some logs. ;-)

If given the chance mill down hill (start at the top and gravity will do most of the work) :cheese:

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Dropping the first tree we will mill this week, paint the ends then mill up some pine on the weekend.

zap

Post lots of Picks....I would say the 511ax is just in time that will make life much easier!

Be cool to get all tree kits together some day and really hot lap some logs. ;-)

If given the chance mill down hill (start at the top and gravity will do most of the work) :cheese:

I'm still gonna rig up one of those winch contraptions that allow you to pull the saw through the cut while sitting down 10 ft away comfortably without breathing gas fumes & spitting saw dust. That is genius.Much better for your back & legs too.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

I'm still gonna rig up one of those winch contraptions that allow you to pull the saw through the cut while sitting down 10 ft away comfortably without breathing gas fumes & spitting saw dust. That is genius.Much better for your back & legs too.

Yea, but with Zaps hills its free... :lol:

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

The hills I got,if one gets away,I'm not going after it! :lol:

Attachments

• hickory with decayed bottom 8 feet.jpg
    hickory with decayed bottom 8 feet.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 282
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311026013 said:

zap

Everythings flat here...Wish I could fell it down hill.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311029437 said:
smokinjay" date="1311026013 said:

zap

Everythings flat here...Wish I could fell it down hill.

I fall downhill maybe twice a year.Slip on wet grass/leaves or packed snow/ice & BOOM down on the ground before you know whats happened.Even with those Vibram soles with tractor tire like lugs.Seriously thinking about a pair of cork boots.Those ice track things mailcarriers use are much cheaper though.A few yrs back I had an extra pair of boots,used hex head self tapping sheetmetal screws 1/2" long - about 30 on each boot all around the tread,to walk on ice etc around the jobsite.Installed in a couple minutes with cordless drill.Might try that again.

zap[/quote]

The pine is by the house so it's real flat but a good place for milling, picking up the last few items tomorrow night. Should have a cant or boards by Sunday night all stickered up. I'm looking at milling some boards just over eight feet.

One of the bigger pine I wanted for milling sounds hollow at the base, but it needs to come down so I will drop that on the weekend and see what I can get out of it.

The Oregon did come in just in time, I have about five chains the need sharpening.

Zap

zapny said:

zap

The pine is by the house so it's real flat but a good place for milling, picking up the last few items tomorrow night. Should have a cant or boards by Sunday night all stickered up. I'm looking at milling some boards just over eight feet.

One of the bigger pine I wanted for milling sounds hollow at the base, but it needs to come down so I will drop that on the weekend and see what I can get out of it.

The Oregon did come in just in time, I have about five chains the need sharpening.

Zap[/quote]

Takes a while to get everything in place! Now let the fun begain... ;-)

[Post lots of Picks....I would say the 511ax is just in time that will make life much easier!
Yea, but with Zaps hills its free... :lol:[/quote]

The hills I got,if one gets away,I'm not going after it! :lol:[/quote]

Had a round take off down the hill when I was bucking up this beech, never did look for it.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/76713/

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Zap

Takes a while to get everything in place! Now let the fun begain... ;-)[/quote]

I'll stop by and pick up the plank for the mini mill track (2x6 or 2x8) then attach the aux. oiler tonight then drop the tree on Wednesday.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Zap

Takes a while to get everything in place! Now let the fun begain... ;-)

I'll stop by and pick up the plank for the mini mill track (2x6 or 2x8) then attach the aux. oiler tonight then drop the tree on Wednesday.

zap[/quote]

2x6 works better.

Status
Not open for further replies.