shopping used stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burr

Nov 26, 2008
SC near ClarksHillLake
I'm going to look at a used stove today and I need an opinion or a 'thumbs up' - BlackBart stove / insert. It is one of the 80s type first generation smokers that is no longer doing business. I have found a 'generic' manual for Blackbart, maybe good for all models (at that time), including installation instructions. For that time period, it seems that a short collar extension and sealing around it was a proper install, not especially the flex SS or entire length install of today. If that was preferred methods back then, is it still applicable today ? If the stove was built to draft with the masonry flue taking over after the transition from collar, then will a 'new' design SS flex be better or maybe not perform as designed ? My flue size for an exterior (except for 6' of attic) chimney is 12x8, and about 17' total height from hearth.

This application is not needed for such conditions as most of you 24/7 types that may depend on wood as a primary, but more of a supplemental and time to time use tool, as we have literally been in the 70s since Thanksgiving.

Any current opinions on BlackBart stoves and installation is appreciated.

Yeah, I searched the place for info too, and saw the post. $ 125.00, I haven't yet seen it and will not bother with a POS, but I've gotta friend that's been burning one since it was new (1980s).

I can only help you a little. I know someone who has a Black Bart insert and he said it would run you out of the living room. He used it on a part time basis. Also if you are talking about the collar transition from the top of the stove to the 8" inch flue, if you can find it will probably run you around $130.00 Stoveparts unlimited has them. Also if this is an insert I had pretty good luck slamming a 1983 Countryflame insert into the fireplace opening and with a 12"x12" flue it drafted okay and threw out plenty of heat. (Watch the creosote buildup though). Again, if you are talking stove or insert and want to run the liner and transition collar all the way up the chimney you are talking several hundred dollars. Tony

I'm Doc, and I'm an ex-slammer. It's not really safe or advisable, but it works. What you could do is make it better. This would involve a little ingenuity on your part though. If you end up getting it then see how it's going to sit and where the flue will end up . I don't know if it has a round flue or a rectangle. If it's round then your good to go. Buy a few feet of S/S flex and make a block off plate with a 8" take off with a 2" lip secured on it. Mount your block off plate in the easiest/best place you can and then secure the S/S flex to the stove and blockoff plate using screws. Making sure the male and female ends are right. When you clean your chimney you'll have to remove the block off plate so only secure it with a few tapcon screws so you can pull it out and stick it right back in. This would be the safest way to do it other than a liner. If you want to do a real slammer like everyone used to do then go to a stove shop and buy that roll of insulation that has tape on one side. Tape it on your surround so it will seal. Slam that baby in and don't stop unless you've got a problem. This way has the potential to be deadly though because of CO poisoning. What you were asking didn't stump us but it's really something we'd all like to forget. Maybe this will just be a temporary thing until you can get up the cash for a newer stove. Mine was.

Status
Not open for further replies.