Should anything glow red?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrLouie

Sep 26, 2010
Northern MI
Quick question, I finally got my Lopi Freedom Bay installed (pictures of the install coming eventually) and am now burning it for the second time. During both burns the air tubes at the top of the insert have started to glow a dull red. There is no red glowing on the insert outer shell(I checked with the lights off), just these air tubes. Is this normal or do I have it too hot in there? My thermometer on top of the insert is cruising right around the 690° mark at the moment and the tubes are still dull red. Thanks in advance.

looks like you're getting it a little hot.

Do you a handheld IR thermometer? Or are you just using one of those magnetic coil-spring thermometers? The coil spring ones aren't terribly accurate, so it's tough to know exactly how hot you're really getting it.

Most of the steel non-cat stoves will cruise lower than that. My 30-NC cruises between 500 and 550. Sometimes it'll get to 600 after a reload, but I try not to get much above that.

-SF

It's a spring loaded Rutland that I got from Tractor Supply. No IR thermometer but it is on my wish list.

Status
Not open for further replies.