Should black stovepipe turn gray?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cruise1521

Oct 3, 2011
Syracuse, ny
We just had our Bosca Spirit 550 installed with black stovepipe from the wood stove to the double wall stainless chimney. Well after our first burn the black stovepipe turned gray in a couple of sections, is this normal? I'm a bit disappointed because I expected the pipe to all stay black to match the stove, kind of an eyesore now that certain sections are gray.

Welcome to the site!

How hot was that first fire?

So long as you didn't have an absolute conflagration in there, there is no reason it should turn grey in my mind shy of a poor paint job.

If I paid for the installation, I'd call the installer. If I did it myself, I'd be calling the vendor.

pen

That does not sound normal at all.

I am a little sloppy. Sometimes I don't wipe the stove cement drops off the pipe as well as I should. I don't notice until the first hot fire when the smears turn grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.