Should I buy this Fisher or should I walk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bootjack

Jan 31, 2021
NW PA
I am looking for a stove for my future workshop. I heated a log home for trouble free years with a Mamma Bear. I think I can get this stove (pic attached) for around $200. What do I need to know good/bad before I buy? Is this a reasonable price? How do I "kick the tires" to find any serious issues with? Coaly, I hope you have an opinion to share. Thanks

Fisher Grandpa bear.JPG

The legs have been cut down to fit under a mantle. I would offer them 100. In a shop you could set it up on cement blocks.

The double door stoves were designed for fire viewing. This makes them a free standing fireplace when burned with doors open and screen in place. Like any fireplace, the efficiency drops since they are designed with the larger 8 inch outlet for two reasons. First, they were designed to be used with a larger existing fireplace chimney flue. A 6 inch outlet would not allow enough heat up a larger flue designed for an open fireplace. The second reason, when opening doors the larger outlet allows better evacuation of smoke from the larger opening.
Realize when opening doors the atmospheric air pressure is pushing into the larger door opening with less velocity than a smaller door opening, so it requires a larger outlet to prevent smoke roll in.

I’d strongly recommend a 6 inch single door stove from the Bear Series instead of one from the Fireplace Series for efficiency, a larger cook top, and most of all loading can be filled easier without the possibility of rolling out when loading across. The deep stoves are built to the shape of long narrow logs, and the intake air rushes down the logs from front to back lighting easier and burn better.

In the morning you have more coals in the back, farther away from the intakes at front, so you can remove ash from front, rake the coals along with a little ash ahead, and start the next fire easily. As you know burning a Mama Bear, you can make it roar like an oil burner in the stove giving it lots of air. The double door stoves roar up the stack more than in the stove. Big difference.