?Should I do it? .... my wife will probably kill me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about ponying up and ordering a $2100 magnum ZC and $900 in 2100 HT chimney.

Then would start working on tearing out my existing fireplace and chimney.

From the looks of the list in your sig it appears your used to your wife being mad at you, so whats one more toy.

I'm a wife. I'm all about safety and fuel efficiency. I tend to take the "long" view of things, not expecting immediate ROI, but deriving security from knowing the return will realized over time. I like making choices that will make my life easier over the long run (I pay to principal on loans!). I'm all about squeezing a dollar until it hollers. I'm pretty reasonable (I think) and try to listen with an open mind, but hate to be pressured into immediate decision making on something I don't fully understand.

If you believe you have a good case for all that you wish to do you will have to either present it convincingly or exercise full veto power and plunge ahead knowing the consequences such action may incur (beware!). I think focussing on the long view is going to be the deciding factor and you can't expect her to immediately declare you a genius and toddle along in your wake. And how your wife responds to your "case" is going to depend on how you opt to present it.

Good luck.

It's not the purchasing of the toy this is the real concern. It's the tearing into the walls to remove the fireplace. Its all got to come out just above the fire place to make room for the tall mangum ZC.

weatherguy said:
From the looks of the list in your sig it appears your used to your wife being mad at you, so whats one more toy.

Maybe the fact that we own a Cape Dory Typhoon helps clarify things? ;)

my wife likes motorcycles and stoves, im thinking you can also get away with this too. pete

mack if your going to tear out the fireplace... get a stove.

mackconsult said:
It's the tearing into the walls to remove the fireplace. Its all got to come out just above the fire place to make room for the tall mangum ZC.

She will love you for it. I was tearing out an exterior wall of the kitchen and building temporary support for the roof as the family was leaving two Thanksgivings ago. Oh wait, she still isn't quite over that one. But you have almost 5 weeks of a head start.

Bobbin said:
Maybe the fact that we own a Cape Dory Typhoon helps clarify things? ;)

My dad had one of those after his heart attack. Slow and steady as she goes. Love those full keel boats. He raced it in MORC lll , single handed and did OK. I will stick with my Hobie 18 if that helps clarify things.

Lanning said:
I will stick with my Hobie 18 if that helps clarify things.

Planing is where its at.

I wouldn't classify a Cape Dory as a racing boat, but for the North Atlantic it's pleasantly secure.

SolarAndWood said:
mackconsult said:
It's the tearing into the walls to remove the fireplace. Its all got to come out just above the fire place to make room for the tall mangum ZC.

She will love you for it. I was tearing out an exterior wall of the kitchen and building temporary support for the roof as the family was leaving two Thanksgivings ago. . . .

The real question is . . . did she and the family come back after leaving. ;) :)

May as well do it..your wife will find something to be mad at you about anyhow. Us men do a lot of stupid stuff

Lanning said:
H16 owner here... I like your taste! I almost bought an I20 last year, but I still do a fair amount of singlehand myself.

Wet1 said:
Lanning said:
H16 owner here... I like your taste! I almost bought an I20 last year, but I still do a fair amount of singlehand myself.
Very cool, I think there is alot of salty's on the forum. Jim

mackconsult said:
Thinking about ponying up and ordering a $2100 magnum ZC and $900 in 2100 HT chimney.

Then would start working on tearing out my existing fireplace and chimney.

I have no idea what any of that is but I say go for it anyway. If your wife gets pissed tell her that she married you and damn well knew what she was getting into.

savageactor7 said:
mack if your going to tear out the fireplace... get a stove.

Magnum ZC is a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.