Should I Get My Chimney Cleaned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a good idea to get it done once or twice a year to kind of get a handle on how dirty it is. Then you can adjust. If you are burning greenish wood (not dry enough) then you will need to sweep more often. If you are not doing it yourself a honest sweep will tell you if you need a cleaning or not.
Better safe than sorry.

At the very least I would inspect the chimney before running it this heating season . . . you never know if some critter has decided to make a nice home in the chimney . . . plus it will give you an idea of how good or bad the chimney looks.

I personally think a sweep before the season starts is good . . . check it monthly and sweep as necessary . . . perhaps once during the season if you're running the stove correctly and burning well seasoned wood.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
Last winter was the first time I used a stove in my new chimney. Should I have it cleaned before this heating season? Is it just a good idea to do it each year?

Thanks.

For new burners of wood, it is usually recommended to inspect the chimney monthly the first year or two. That is excellent advice.

As for your chimney now, I would not burn another fire until the chimney was inspected and cleaned if necessary.

Good luck.

I'd have it cleaned, watch the process, and ask questions. in particular, I'd ask how much soot is present so I could judge when the next cleaning might be needed.

If you can, I would check/clean it yourself just so you have a baseline that you are visually aware of. I sweep both of mine once a year even though they really don't need it. It's just for peace of mind at this point, but as other have said it's better to err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.