Should I seal off the flue collar and pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Apr 4, 2007
back of my hearthstone heritage with stove cement? I noticed when I pulled my stove out to put in the block off plate, the extension out of the back of the stove that connects to the "tee" doesnt have a good seal. should all the parts of the chimney (ss liner) be have cement on the joints? I used the stove all last season and didnt see any problems.

From the inside, after you remove the ceramic baffle (easy without removing any secondary stuff) you will have a great amount of access to the rear outlet. You will be able to seal up the stove collar with a few fat fingers full of cement. Might also be able to reach to the tee connection from the stove. Once the pipe goes vertical and into the flex stuff then I wouldn't seal it with cement. Maybe some type of silicone product if you can find one rated highly enough and you think you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.