Should my stove be this loud?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radler

Dec 29, 2010
NH
After months of thinking I finally bought a stove. It is an Enerzone Bio-45. It was installed today while I was at work and I was really excited to get home and play with it. I walked in the door to the sounds of a contructions site. I have never owned a pellet stove so i don`t know what is normal and if this is normal then i better get used to it. It is in what was our dining room but i really can`t imagine sitting in there now to eat. How do i know if it is too loud? If it is what can I do? Warranty? Just return it? Is it possible to operate without the blower? Any thoughts on volume and/or Enerzone experiences would be great (aside from telling me enerzone is no good, that wold just kill me now). Thanks for any and all help.

I think Enerzone is kind of new to the market. I haven't heard of them. Looks to be similar to the Osborns.

No the stove shouldn't be sounding like a contruction site. Maybe the installer left some panels loose. If you use a glove and push on some of the removable panels, Does the noise settle down? Could also be a faulty blower motor. I have heard a few Osborns having such an issue. Some of the other members have been making video's of there stoves issue. Helps us get to the route of thie issue.

If your not happy, Get the dealer back to look at it. Don't except something that just isn't right!

Radler said:
After months of thinking I finally bought a stove. It is an Enerzone Bio-45. It was installed today while I was at work and I was really excited to get home and play with it. I walked in the door to the sounds of a contructions site. I have never owned a pellet stove so i don`t know what is normal and if this is normal then i better get used to it. It is in what was our dining room but i really can`t imagine sitting in there now to eat. How do i know if it is too loud? If it is what can I do? Warranty? Just return it? Is it possible to operate without the blower? Any thoughts on volume and/or Enerzone experiences would be great (aside from telling me enerzone is no good, that wold just kill me now). Thanks for any and all help.

Must not be THAT loud, I'm in Maine and I can't hear it. Seriously, call your dealer. Did you hear one of these running before you bought it???

I'm a lot closer to you than Hoss is and I can't hear it from here either.

However, anything moving air with blowers is going to make some noise and the starting and stopping auger motor is going to also make noise.

Operating without the convection blower is likely to lead to a high temperature shutdown ( I can run my stove on 1-, 1, and 1+ without using the convection blower above that and the stove hi temperature shutdowns) and the stove won't work at all with the combustion blower shut off.

I don't know how the installer left the situation, but is it possible that the stove has its convection blower set to high instead of following the heat range setting?

Thanks for your replies so far. I was not able to hear one in the store before I bought it, they said they could not do that (I know, I should have seen that as a clue, right?) I do not know how well the installers left it and I know too little about these things to try poking around on stuff, I am scared I´d break something (more). What sort of rights do I have as far as returning something like this? I know that might seem a crazy question but I only have two days to get a different one to get the tax credit. Thanks so very much.

I think they are all loud when the blower is on high!! To me that's the problem with something sitting in a room that utilizes a blower. I'm still getting use to it. There are plenty of draw backs to a pellet stove, noise is one of them.

Might help some other people to avoid this store or installer.

Where did you buy your stove from?

Can't believe they would not let you see how it sounded and worked

re: tax credit, my understanding is that it has been extended thru 2011, along w/ all the other tax rate extensions. Check w/ a tax person to be sure.

I found mine was giving a resonance from the convection blower. I thought it was a buzzing but it wasn't. If the hopper is full, no vibration, if it is empty it gets really loud. For now, I keep it full. In the off season I'll find the loose spot and mend it.

I bought it at Home Comfort Warehouse in White River Junction, VT. The owner is super not nice but one of the employees is my neighbor and a very nice and helpful person. I bought it there because it was a floor model and the dropped the price by $1,000 (or so they say). Very nearby (for anzone in my area looking) is a store called Upper Valley Stoves which has a great reputation and I think is well deserved. They sell harman and sá few others, go there. The Harman was just too expensive for me at the time, but oh how I would loveto give that $ money to them now.
I should add that my neighbor just came over and took a look at it and said that it is running as it should and as he expects it would. I trust him. It might just be that I was not aware of the noise they produce.
Anyone know of any methods of quieting, like putting something under the legs (base) like rubber (but not combustible)?
Thanks again for all of your comments, always good to find a forum that is not filled with those people looking to tell you it`s all your fault and how dumb you are (they exist more than you can imagine).

Radler said:
I bought it at Home Comfort Warehouse in White River Junction, VT. The owner is super not nice but one of the employees is my neighbor and a very nice and helpful person. I bought it there because it was a floor model and the dropped the price by $1,000 (or so they say). Very nearby (for anzone in my area looking) is a store called Upper Valley Stoves which has a great reputation and I think is well deserved. They sell harman and sá few others, go there. The Harman was just too expensive for me at the time, but oh how I would loveto give that $ money to them now.
I should add that my neighbor just came over and took a look at it and said that it is running as it should and as he expects it would. I trust him. It might just be that I was not aware of the noise they produce.
Anyone know of any methods of quieting, like putting something under the legs (base) like rubber (but not combustible)?
Thanks again for all of your comments, always good to find a forum that is not filled with those people looking to tell you it`s all your fault and how dumb you are (they exist more than you can imagine).

If you want to quiet the stove down the very first thing that needs to be done is to locate the precise source of the noise. Just about every aspect of a metal enclosure will amplify and tend to distort where the noise is actually created.

I'd start by getting a mechanic's stethoscope from an auto parts store. Then you can locate the source and have a point to start from. Sometimes a simple tightening of existing bolts will go a long way towards making things less noisy.

It is even possible that since your unit was used that things such as oiling/greasing the motor bearings will make it less noisy.

Please see page 13 in your manual, locate the Noise Reducer button on your control panel and give it a try. I note that the blowers were changed after March 2008 so this may not do anything for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.