Shoulder season wood "In February"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Was down to the last row of birch of the 4 cord woodshed section stack.
Hauled in some spruce 5 days ago from the wood shed, when we got into the 20s & 30s.
Getting good burn times & saving the birch for when winter returns.
Need to get the spruce out of the shed & replace it with birch. Want to get all birch in the woodshed. This years goal.
I think this years spruce I have will do OK not covered in the shed. Test burned the outside stuff, dry & burned good, may try to cover it before next winter hits.
I have 1/2 of the middle section full of spruce now, (1, 3 & 4 yr old stuff) It & the last row of birch, should be enough to burn until spring.

Attachments

• 100_7195.jpg
    100_7195.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 100_7198.jpg
    100_7198.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 474
Adabiviak said:
Wow, that's one of the nicer wood stacks/covers I've seen on this site.

+1 Man that looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!

+2 , looks very nice.I wish I had a shelter that nice with just half that wood in it,lol.

Your winter is here in Ohio. You can have it back any time you're ready. It's been a very mild winter here exept for a couple
of cold snaps.

That looks great. Nice stacks. Finally feels like winter here today. Its 18 here in NY and I am loving it.

Bogydave, I am still humbled when I see your beautiful woodshed and perfectly stacked splits........you are one of the guys on here who have set a high benchmark for those of us who have yet to build a woodshed..... ;-)

KatWill said:
That looks great. Nice stacks. Finally feels like winter here today. Its 18 here in NY and I am loving it.
Same here, in central PA it is around 16 right now. FINALLY!! Bad thing is, right back up in the forties by the middle of the week....BOOOOOO :mad:

You're a little ahead of me on the SS wood, dave. Gooder job.
Still just a bit too early for that here, even though it's been relatively mild. I'm still waiting for the Feb. kick in the a.., uh, butt. :coolsmile:
I pulled 5 splits off the stacks of pine in the field about 3 days ago to check how it will burn. It did pretty good, so when the temps get into the 30's or so, I'll go get 1/3-1/2 cord of that and put it in the shed. I don't plan to burn that until about April. However, life is what happens while we're making other plans, sooooo........

Great looking stockpile Dave. It has been all shoulder season wood here this year other than maybe half a cord.

Still enjoying the little warm-up huh Dave. Nice.

Nice may copy your setup and build one like it .

That empty shed needs filling Dave. Our winter lasted 1 day, Saturday. Tapping maples on Tuesday! :)

wishlist said:
That empty shed needs filling Dave. Our winter lasted 1 day, Saturday. Tapping maples on Tuesday! :)

Thanks all.
I made it in 3 stages & the plan was each section to hold 5 cords, a years worth ±.

Yep the year I couldn't cut set me back some. I had a good woodcutting site working but the road iced/snowed me out early.
I'll get back in & hope to get the wood shed full of birch & have a few cords of spruce CSS.
Got about a cord of birch that needs split & about 2 cords of CSS spruce out back uncovered (well covered with snow)

Attachments

• 100_7126.jpg
    100_7126.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 244
Dog gone you all have some perfectly stacked wood there. I think you could take a plumb stick and place it anywhere on that stack without finding a spot that is a 1/4 bubble off!! Certainly not the case with my stacks - you give me something to aspire to for sure.

A. I am not real good at cutting accurate length rounds
B. I attempt to stack way to many goofy splits that really do not belong in the pile.
C. because this is my first season heating 99% with a stove I have a lot of learning "as I go" to establish a good system.

Obviously you have been doing this a while and it clearly shows experience is priceless.

On the bright side - I am getting a ton of wood stacked up for 2-3yrs. of seasoning and I am having a lot of fun.

bogydave said:
wishlist said:

Thanks all.
I made it in 3 stages & the plan was each section to hold 5 cords, a years worth ±.

Yep the year I couldn't cut set me back some. I had a good woodcutting site working but the road iced/snowed me out early.
I'll get back in & hope to get the wood shed full of birch & have a few cords of spruce CSS.
Got about a cord of birch that needs split & about 2 cords of CSS spruce out back uncovered (well covered with snow)

The shed looks great bogydave, when will mother nature allow you to cut again?

zap

zapny said:
bogydave said:
wishlist said:

Thanks all.

The shed looks great bogydave, when will mother nature allow you to cut again?

zap

Last week of April , 1st of May the logging road & woods should be open.
I like cutting in the fall the best, but moose season got in the way last year,
& when I started cutting I got snowed out in Oct & winter never left.

BobUrban said:
Dog gone you all have some perfectly stacked wood there. I think you could take a plumb stick and place it anywhere on that stack without finding a spot that is a 1/4 bubble off!! Certainly not the case with my stacks - you give me something to aspire to for sure.

A. I am not real good at cutting accurate length rounds
B. I attempt to stack way to many goofy splits that really do not belong in the pile.
C. because this is my first season heating 99% with a stove I have a lot of learning "as I go" to establish a good system.

Obviously you have been doing this a while and it clearly shows experience is priceless.

On the bright side - I am getting a ton of wood stacked up for 2-3yrs. of seasoning and I am having a lot of fun.

If it's fun, you'll always have wood.
I know like you & I , most here really have fun cutting wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.