Shoulder Season Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was the Hemlock that was hung up, split all of it today along with the pine. Picture 4420 is the first pile of Hemlock, pic 4422 & 23 are the last two piles of Hemlock and the last picture is the pine.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4420.jpg
    100_4420.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 454
  • 100_4422.jpg
    100_4422.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 100_4423.jpg
    100_4423.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 458
  • 100_4428.jpg
    100_4428.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 454
Those pictures looked so good and enjoyable out in that fallen snow, I almost (for a minute) thought of coming over there and helping you out. Nice pics. Now how much snow?

Nice zap, get it why the getting is good. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't look good here, what little snow we do have will be gone shortly.

Don't sell the Hemlock and Pine short Zap. I haven't burned anything but the lessers and uglies this year, and not sure I will unless it actually gets cold.

Nice stuff Zap that would be perfect for the warm weather we've had so far this year..

Ray

Backswoods, the wind blowing the snow out of the trees down my back sucked but it was a good day, about 1-2 inches of snow in the woods.

wishlist, it looks like rain coming in on Thursday then the week of Christmas could be flooding rains.

solarandwood, I'm hoping the pine and the hemlock will be ready for next fall. If the weather is good for this coming weekend the splitter will go up top so I can get the rest of our shoulder season wood. We still have some good size quaking aspen down, looking to have two full cord for next year.

raybonz, we had our coldest night on Saturday, it hit 10 but the Liberty was fine.

gibir

zapny said:
Backswoods, the wind blowing the snow out of the trees down my back sucked but it was a good day, about 1-2 inches of snow in the woods.

wishlist, it looks like rain coming in on Thursday then the week of Christmas could be flooding rains.

solarandwood, I'm hoping the pine and the hemlock will be ready for next fall. If the weather is good for this coming weekend the splitter will go up top so I can get the rest of our shoulder season wood. We still have some good size quaking aspen down, looking to have two full cord for next year.

raybonz, we had our coldest night on Saturday, it hit 10 but the Liberty was fine.

gibir

Zap it's much colder there than here especially this year so far.. Cold enough to run the woodstove but not cold enough to really run it if you know what I mean..

Ray

Yep, this week we will jump back up to 45 degrees for daytime temps. If Mother Nature gives me two more weeks thats all I need for our shoulder season wood. We already burned through two full cord of quaking aspen, almost through .61 of a cord of Cherry. Not much sun in the winter with the white pines around the house.

Looks like we will burn about the same amount of Cherry even though we had shoulder season wood, not a drop of oil though.

zap

Nice work ZAP. Looks like some good BTUs for you. I got out for a few hours today. Took a walk through the woods to see where I wanted to work next. It was nice to just walk and look around for a change. Relaxing. Quiet, cool with wind, but nice and sunny. There are lots of pines that are either down or blown over and hung up in other trees. (P.I.A.) But now, with the slab wood I have enough pine, so I will be going for some more Ash when vacation starts. Have a good one, and don't work to hard.

Gasifier said:
Nice work ZAP. Looks like some good BTUs for you. I got out for a few hours today. Took a walk through the woods to see where I wanted to work next. It was nice to just walk and look around for a change. Relaxing. Quiet, cool with wind, but nice and sunny. There are lots of pines that are either down or blown over and hung up in other trees. (P.I.A.) But now, with the slab wood I have enough pine, so I will be going for some more Ash when vacation starts. Have a good one, and don't work to hard.

I always hate dealing with the hung up or leaners, they all act different. Have a good vacation and be careful. Walking through the woods or just sitting enjoying the calm is the best.

zap

Zap, was that hemlock up on the big hill? I hope you are wrong on the forecast but fear you are right.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, was that hemlock up on the big hill? I hope you are wrong on the forecast but fear you are right.

No, this was on the trail that goes up to the bowl, about 1/4 of a mile from the gate.

zap

I love making shoulder season wood . . . I always feel like I'm "saving" my really good wood for later when I really need the heat.

Good thought Jake.
I only had about 1/3 cord for the start this year, but I have a full cord for next spring, and more to get c/s/s for next fall. Just need to get out there and git 'er dun!
The oak is the stuff I actually paid green money for, the rest "only" cost some fuel and oil for the gear. :coolsmile:
zap obviously has his plan and it's coming together quite nicely.

PapaDave, Tonight I'll throw up a pic ( I think I still have it) of what I'll be working on this weekend. Looks like more Quaking Aspen on the ground, after the weekend that should give us more than two full cord for next year.

zap

PapaDave said:
Good thought Jake.
I only had about 1/3 cord for the start this year, but I have a full cord for next spring, and more to get c/s/s for next fall. Just need to get out there and git 'er dun!
The oak is the stuff I actually paid green money for, the rest "only" cost some fuel and oil for the gear. :coolsmile:
zap obviously has his plan and it's coming together quite nicely.

This is some of the Quaking Aspen we have down up top, should keep me busy, I'm guessing about 1 cord from this, with what I split on Sunday I should have 2 cord easy.

Pic 1035 is some work I did over one year ago, still have some rounds left (not all of them) and if my memory is correct we still have whats up in the air, 1038 I grabbed already but we have another down just out of the picture & 1039 would be the last one I would like for next year.

This will also give us a new trail in this area.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1035.jpg
    100_1035.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_1038.jpg
    100_1038.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_1039.jpg
    100_1039.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 160
Status