Side tank for overheat control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred61

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Southeastern Vt.
Yesterday afternoon when I went down to start my daily fire, I hung around and watched things heat up which I had not done in quite a while. The reason I did this is that my wife was doing some house cleaning and if I went upstairs she would put me to work. So while I hung around watching thermometers and feeling pipes, I realized that the by-pass to my Danfoss thermosyphoned like crazy. I know it should but I never thought much about it.

I thought if I had a side tank of cold water tied in to the supply and return of the by-pass connected with a couple N/O zone valves, it would make a good overheat dump if the power should drop out. Am I missing something?

It will work as long as the tank is higher than the boiler and it is connected to the top of the boiler. Just make sure you have enough volume. Also you would only need one valve as the heat won't flow as long as there isn't any flow. If you have a closed system make sure you have a tank that can hold pressure and I would put a relief valve on it for safety sake
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.