siding/flashing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
As preparation for finishing my basement this winter, I've added 1" styrofoam insulation with a stucco facing to the outside basement walls. The house is sided with vinyl siding, and the insulation sticks out farther than the siding does. I added some "L" shaped flashing to protect the top of the insulation and also to help prevent water from pooling on the styro and getting behind it.

I also caulked the flashing to the bottom edge of the siding to make it weather tight, but I'm not sure that was the right thing to do. Was that a mistake? Do I need to remove the caulk to allow any water that gets behind the siding to weep out? Given that I'm finishing the basement, I'd like to keep as much water off the walls as possible. I had some work done on the walls this spring (straightening and waterproofing) and I'd like to not screw anything up.

I'm curious how watertight it is now, but it hasn't rained much this year...

Thanks in advance.

I think what you did is fine. You are simply trying to prevent water from getting in contact with your basement wall. I presume it wasn't that big of a flashing?

A drip cap could have possibly worked in this situation (pics always help..)

ANdrew

remove the caulking.
1) vinyl siding expands and contracts with temperature change, the caulking will not allow this and cause buckling.
2) any water that does penetrate the sidng will have no where to go and run behind everything you just did to try and stop it.
3) if the flashing is up behind the starter strip and out over the foam the water should shed properly.

Thanks ironpony. That's what I thought. Minor problem: The flashing is not behind the starter strip, it is simply butted against the wall. I was unable to get it slid underneath the strip, and was wary of trying to loosen it. It's a shoddy enough siding job without being messed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.