*sigh* It's not easy being a girl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
1. I found this guy on CL giving away a big pile of firewood. We make arrangements for me to come pick it up. I am always leery about this or about having someone come here. So I do a bit of detective work using his email address and find that he has been soliciting prostitutes online. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared007.gifThanks to that and urban dictionary I learned a few things. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked032.gif

2. I decide on a chainsaw to buy. Decide to purchase it at the local shop. Walk in with cash in my pocket. It's a small shop and there are no other customers. I spend about 15 minutes messing around at the chainsaw section in full sight of two guys doing nothing. Playing with saws, making notes, reading brochures. They both completely ignored me. When I was wood stove shopping I got a lot of the "little lady" routine, but I was suprised at being completely ignored.
Doing my best Julia Roberts I walked past them to the door and said "I guess you didn't want to sell me a chainsaw today." http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry016.gif

BB (who never treats me like a girl :lol: )reminded me of a place online with brand new refurbushed saws, so in the end I saved about $50. He also sent me a pair of chaps because he thinks I'm going to hurt myself http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy093.gif

With the good comes the bad.
I'm sure you can get a lot more by batting the eye lashes and tossing the hair back than I could. :smirk:
Although I have been known to shake my moneymaker at times. :shut:
Chicks dig it. Not really.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
1. I found this guy on CL giving away a big pile of firewood. We make arrangements for me to come pick it up. I am always leery about this or about having someone come here. So I do a bit of detective work using his email address and find that he has been soliciting prostitutes online. ]

Good for you, doing your homework. Do everything you can to avoid becoming a victim.

I remember stove shopping/kicking the tires.

First shop, a woman was working (I thought "great, this'll be easy"....not !), stressing the lovely colors & kept trying to steer me to the VC. I didn't want it, and she persisted. I left.

2nd shop treated me like some helpless female getting ready to report back to the "man" of the house. That went over well, I was outta there fast :mad:

3rd shop started talking to the guy I had with me, and I told him that it was my money that was being spent & my house that it was going into. They talked to me from there on in. Shoulda seen the look on the salesman's face when I whipped out my folder with floor plan, etc :p

Cool on the chaps !!

Sorry you had to go through all that b.s. K. The guy with the e-mail thing was repulsive!
The guys at the chain saw shop are lost a sale and future sales with their ignoring you. Don't worry about stuff like that and just keep on being "careful".
Also, good job for BB, once again!

Blue Vomit said:
I'm sure you can get a lot more by batting the eye lashes and tossing the hair back than I could. :smirk:

Sadly, there is plenty more detriment than benefit. The statistics on the really bad stuff would bear me out on that, but other than this kind of pesky stuff, I have also experienced very scary situations that would not have happened to a man. Including, but not limited to- being harrassed by an irrational, drunk, armed landlord. Also by an irrational, drunk, armed neighbor. And a very creepy person I cannot even provide descriptive words for, who liked to turn off my power while he lurked outside, among other things.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Blue Vomit said:

Sadly, there is plenty more detriment than benefit. The statistics on the really bad stuff would bear me out on that, but other than this kind of pesky stuff, I have also experienced very scary situations that would not have happened to a man. Including, but not limited to- being harrassed by an irrational, drunk, armed landlord. Also by an irrational, drunk, armed neighbor. And a very creepy person I cannot even provide descriptive words for, who liked to turn off my power while he lurked outside, among other things.

Dear Lord Kathleen - I think you need to move! Cheers!

Not something ya wanna test Kat, but folded together those chaps would be 24 layers of 3M ballistic fiber glass mesh. ;-)

Just sayin...

Little note on those chaps. They were a Christmas present from my wife and I for all the chuckles and and flat out laughs Kathleen has proved us with. From about her third post I knew she had a hell of a sense of humor. A guy had posted a pic of his new pride and joy wood rack. Comment after comment kept being posted while I held back being a good boy but oh so tempting.

What do ya know? Along came Kathleen and posted "Somebody's got to say it. Nice rack!". And we were on the floor laughing.

BrotherBart said:
Not something ya wanna test Kat, but folded together those chaps would be 24 layers of 3M ballistic fiber glass mesh. ;-)

Just sayin...

Little note on those chaps. They were a Christmas present from my wife and I for all the chuckles and and flat out laughs Kathleen has proved us with. From about her third post I knew she had a hell of a sense of humor. A guy had posted a pic of his new pride and joy wood rack. Comment after comment kept being posted while I held back being a good boy but oh so tempting.

What do ya know? Along came Kathleen and posted "Somebody's got to say it. Nice rack!". And we were on the floor laughing.

That's awesome, BB !!

I remember that, it was one of the best :)

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
an irrational, drunk, armed landlord. an irrational, drunk, armed neighbor. And a very creepy person who liked to turn off my power while he lurked outside

And it's tough being a woman? :lol:
Love & Peace-
Kenny

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Doing my best Julia Roberts I walked past them to the door and said "I guess you didn't want to sell me a chainsaw today."

BB (who never treats me like a girl :lol: )reminded me of a place online with brand new refurbushed saws, so in the end I saved about $50. He also sent me a pair of chaps because he thinks I'm going to hurt myself

Some times 3 tines.....

My sister lives alone in eastern NC and got the same crap from realtors, contractors and the like. Luck had it that she found a reasonable carpenter that was a moonlighting cop. He has been her guardian angel since. And I'm thankful he's around to make sure she doesn't get ripped off. Fortunately she doesn't get hassled. Must be the dozen or so great danes she raises and boards. :coolgrin:

Uh oh. Off to pop the corn.

BRB

I just got done with my 3rd load of laundry. Today was 14hrs of cooking and cleaning. Braised beef short ribs, cake, homemade bread and even homemade beer. The house is warm, wood ring is full. My girls are cuddled on the couch watching Downton Abby (after watching Once Upon A Time), swooning over the mansion and the servants.

It ain't easy being a girl.

Lighting Up said:
NH_Wood said:

or get a man...a good man!
md

Well, I guess you're not volunteering, are ya ?

*hands BB the salt shaker* go easy on it, please.

btuser said:
I just got done with my 3rd load of laundry. Today was 14hrs of cooking and cleaning. Braised beef short ribs, cake, homemade bread and even homemade beer. The house is warm, wood ring is full. My girls are cuddled on the couch watching Downton Abby (after watching Once Upon A Time), swooning over the mansion and the servants.

It ain't easy being a girl.

You're hired.

NH_Wood said:
Oh I have! Twice in the middle of the night. I don't spook easily, but I know when to fold 'em. One was when I lived in Hawaii, another in Florida, and another here but on the other side of the county. I have DA BEST neighbors now. On Friday I came home to dinner and a fire in the stove courtesy of one of my neighbors.

BrotherBart said:
These things on the interwebz that come back to haunt a person.
Heck, at that point I wasn't planning to hang around! Love 'em and leave 'em, that's my motto.

Lighting Up said:
or get a man...a good man!
See above motto!

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You're hired.

I know. Men like that only exist Once Upon a Dream.

I gotta dream. I have too.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
1. I found this guy on CL giving away a big pile of firewood. We make arrangements for me to come pick it up. I am always leery about this or about having someone come here. So I do a bit of detective work using his email address and find that he has been soliciting prostitutes online. Thanks to that and urban dictionary I learned a few things.

2. I decide on a chainsaw to buy. Decide to purchase it at the local shop. Walk in with cash in my pocket. It's a small shop and there are no other customers. I spend about 15 minutes messing around at the chainsaw section in full sight of two guys doing nothing. Playing with saws, making notes, reading brochures. They both completely ignored me. When I was wood stove shopping I got a lot of the "little lady" routine, but I was suprised at being completely ignored.
Doing my best Julia Roberts I walked past them to the door and said "I guess you didn't want to sell me a chainsaw today."

BB (who never treats me like a girl :lol: )reminded me of a place online with brand new refurbushed saws, so in the end I saved about $50. He also sent me a pair of chaps because he thinks I'm going to hurt myself

Kathleen, since this site is to help members out, I feel obligated to give advise. If you ever need to buy a car new or used at a car dealership, please do NOT go alone. Bring a Man, he won't need to say anything just needs to look like you are asking him questions or advise,,,that alone will save you around $1000.
md

It's possible the people you ran into were dumb employees. The owner would have probably acknowledged you as he at the end of the day lives or dies by his cash flow. That overrides any prejudices. He would sell to his enemy before he'd starve.

Lighting Up said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
1. I found this guy on CL giving away a big pile of firewood. We make arrangements for me to come pick it up. I am always leery about this or about having someone come here. So I do a bit of detective work using his email address and find that he has been soliciting prostitutes online. Thanks to that and urban dictionary I learned a few things.

Kathleen, since this site is to help members out, I feel obligated to give advise. If you ever need to buy a car new or used at a car dealership, please do NOT go alone. Bring a Man, he won't need to say anything just needs to look like you are asking him questions or advise,,,that alone will save you around $1000.
md

That's freaking hilarious.

Oh you reminded me of car shopping with Dh years ago when the idiot salesman kept wanting to show me crap like makeup mirrors. I'm like the worlds biggest tomboy...I dearly wanted to ask if he saw me wearing any of that crap and what the horsepower was, but I just rolled my eyes and chose a different dealer. I bought the last three cars online, out of state. Got wicked deals too.

Try being a chick who owns a car related biz. Until I brought DH on-now everyone thinks it's his. Grr...I designed and thought up 90% of the stuff (we do t-shirts). Same as at car shows whith my car when they ask if my boyfriend or husband is around so they can ask him about it.

On the up side I get major props for hauling wood on scrounges and it helps with good will from scroungees.

Status
Not open for further replies.