Silicone Chimney Flashing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig56

Jan 10, 2011
Colorado
I'm building a cabin, have a 8/12 pitch metal roof with ridges in it. I was looking at flashing in a local stove store and they recommend a silicon flashing with and aluminum flange built into the outer edge. I was wondering if anyone has used one, or has any comments on these?

Craig

I installed one about three months back, so my experience is limited to installing it. Too soon to say how it will hold up.

It was simple to install. The one I bought had to be trimmed to size for the pipe. It also needed to be sealed down to the roof [metal roofing in my case] and I used butyl tape and then butyl sealant around the perimeter after I screwed it down.

Thanks Steve, I'm going to order one online, the one they have localy has a round base, the one online has a square base, thought I'd go with the square, plus they have it for about $30 cheaper online. Sealing it in the winter should be fun. I was thinking I'd take on old heating blanket up there and wrap the base of the chimney pipe anf roof with it for a while then put down the silicone and when done wrap the pipe/flashing back up in the heating blanket for the rest of the day to get the silicone to cure a little before exposing it to the cold temps at 8200', unless someone has a better idea.

Craig

Craigb said:
Thanks Steve, I'm going to order one online, the one they have localy has a round base, the one online has a square base, thought I'd go with the square, plus they have it for about $30 cheaper online. Sealing it in the winter should be fun. I was thinking I'd take on old heating blanket up there and wrap the base of the chimney pipe anf roof with it for a while then put down the silicone and when done wrap the pipe/flashing back up in the heating blanket for the rest of the day to get the silicone to cure a little before exposing it to the cold temps at 8200', unless someone has a better idea.

Craig

I bought the square one, too. If yours is the type you cut to size [of pipe], be careful not to cut too much. Cut it slightly smaller than you think, then trim off a quarter inch or so at a time. You want a fairly snug fit on the pipe. I used a box cutter with a brand-new blade and it worked well. Go slowly.

The instructions with mine said to use self-tapping screws to secure it down to the roof. No way. I had to predrill holes in the aluminum strips at the perimeter, and down through the metal roofing, then install the screws. My boot arrived "folded up" in a padded bag, so the aluminum strips were bent up and I had to carefully straighten them out first. It wasn't a big deal, just another little chore to do before installation.

I had a standing seam in the way, just how the location of the pipe worked out. I cut the standing seam [talking about on the steel roofing] back a few inches from the area where I wanted to seal down the boot. My roof was so steep I couldn't get the boot to lay down flat enough as the seam was in the way. I used a pair of metal snips after I had cut through the seam with a Sawzall, but it could be done easily enough with a hacksaw. If you don't have a seam in the way, lucky you.

I sealed around the top of the silicone against the chimney pipe, then to be extra sure I bought and put on one of those "rain collars" that fit around the pipe to deflect rain out a few inches from the pipe and that collar is just above the top of the silicone boot.

That's just me.

I have self starting screws left over from my roof, they went in pretty easily in the roof, so I may predrill the flange just to make it easier, but I think they'll go in ok. I did buy the biggest one I could 7"-11", hope to make the angle a little easier when I put the flange to the roof. You definitely need the rain collar.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.