Simple heat loss calculator for the whole house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I am looking for a simple heat loss calculator for the whole house, for example something that takes into accound the total sq.ft. of slab, windows and doors, and roof and gives a rough estimation of heat loss, to help me size the furnace/boiler. Or, if you have a simple formula that I could use myself, I can enter the surface and the R value of different parts of the house and come with the heat loss for that item, which later will be summed together.
All the heat loss calculators I found are too detailed and they go on a room/floor resolution. Eventually, this will be done by a hvac contractor, but meantime I need to take few basic decisions, so a rough calculation will be enough.

Many thanks,
Beno

Status
Not open for further replies.