Simpson Duravent question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Last fall when I installed my stove I used Simpson double wall stainless. I noticed while we were putting in the T that it had a slight seam gap in the upper right hand side, inside pipe.

It was about a quarter inch wide and 1 inch long. There were no other problems in any more of the pipe. This looked to be an area that when pipe was assembled it just did not make the complete seam. There is insulation within this crack and of course an outer wall.

It really looked fine to use so we used it with no problems at all. I also called Simpson company and ask them if there was a problem and they said there was no problem whatsoever with this piece and that this slight gap was sometimes seen in these T's.

I am going to clean my pipe soon and plan to look it over to make sure it still looks good. Does anyone think I need to put a little stove crack filler in this small gap (what kind ?) while I got it opened up ?

Thanks.

Robbie.

Hello Robbie,
If you had previously talked to someone at DuraVent, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is leaking ash or smell. If it would make you more confortable, go ahead and seal it . If it is pellet vent - you can use high temp silicone. We've used DuraVent products exclusive for ten + years with absolutely no problems or complaints. Rest assured, your money was well spent!!

Stove Doctor, thank you for your response.

It is for a wood stove.

Below is a pic of the T, PDF file, page 3, you can see overlap of seam onto the inside of pipe, upper and lower, this is where the slight gap is, which now that I look actually appears to show something similar in the bottom of pic, (a tiny gap, except mine is a tad bigger and at top), no big deal, even looking at this re-confirms that there is no problems here.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/Catalogs/L930.pdf

Yes, my wife and I are delighted with the pipe so far and also think it's one of the best.

Robbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.