Simulating no electricity ......Testing the stove without the blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
Here is South Eastern Michigan we get the occasional power outage from ice storms, downed limbs, ect.

About 3 weeks ago I simulated a 3 day "The Powers Out Test"

How many of you guys have done this?

What were your results?

I have been burning 24/7 sense late December 2007

I wanted to see the difference if any of using the stove without the blower.

My inside house Temp dropped about 4 degrees without the blower. The outside temps were about the same 3 days before the test,during, and about 4 days after the test so I think it gave me a good indication of how well the stove heats without the blower running.

My inside temps generally average about 73 to 74 degrees with my stove damper just slightly open, good seasoned Ash and blower running full tilt

Thank you,Hiram

I've kinda been trying the same thing lately, though I don't burn 24/7 I did want to see the differenceas teh fan is kinda loud and I sleep pretty regularly near the stove. Being kinda new also to this, about a year now- I've found that once the box is up to ideal temp; about 400* it like naturally radiates by itself all over..........

Hi Hiram. We do very nicely without electric but the far rooms do get a little a little cool. Still very liveable.

We've been burning 24/7 since November here. Think there were only a couple days that month we didn't have the stove going. Winter is not over yet either. March can be awfully cold. We have plenty of wood though so we will be comfortable.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hi Hiram. We do very nicely without electric but the far rooms do get a little a little cool. Still very liveable.

We've been burning 24/7 since November here. Think there were only a couple days that month we didn't have the stove going. Winter is not over yet either. March can be awfully cold. We have plenty of wood though so we will be comfortable.

Dennis
I have plenty of wood here too!
My Dad has been real good about coming over and feeding the flame post operative.

Status
Not open for further replies.