Single wall Pipe raining noise??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpjohnny5

Oct 7, 2010
Southern CT
I have a 11 foot run out the top of my heritage to a 45 degree offset for a total of just under 14 feet to the roof. Then another 3 feet of Class A. I was getting her going today and cracked the door with a super-cedar under 4 small splits and i started to hear this noise like something was running down the pipe. It wasnt raining or sleeting out so I know it wasn't that. Folks is this what a chimney fire sounds like? There was definitely something going on. As soon as the fire took off good I shut the side door and instantly the noise went away. Any ideas?

Could have been soot/creosote burning off.. How dry is the wood you are burning?

Ray

It could be creosote falling and when you got a draft going with new fire it stopped the creosote from falling. I would check your pipe could be your cap let go some loose stuff.

It's 2 year seasoned, don't have a moisture meter yet. Might have got little wet from snow outside but that's about it. It sounded as if it was running down the pipe tho. If it was cresote burning is that how it sounds?

So if it was falling down the pipe where does that all end up? On the top of the baffle? I couldn't get up there now if I wanted too with this ice storm and snow on the roof

MPJohnny5 said:
It's 2 year seasoned, don't have a moisture meter yet. Might have got little wet from snow outside but that's about it. It sounded as if it was running down the pipe tho. If it was cresote burning is that how it sounds?

Yes, it sounds like that. What temps has the stove/flue been running at?

Stovetop generally 400-500 depending on what species split I throw in and flue pipe gets 400-500 reading at 18 inches above stove for the start of the burn. After I throttle the air Down once it's caught it will sometimes dip down to 200

My guess is it's 'only' creosote flakes shedding from inside the pipe.

Slap the pipe gently with your open hand and have a listen.

Whut hoppen?

Peter B.

-----

Peter B. said:
My guess is it's 'only' creosote flakes shedding from inside the pipe.

Slap the pipe gently with your open hand and have a listen.

Whut hoppen?

Peter B.

-----

That's exactly it! I slapped the pipe it made that same sound running down the pipe. So what does that mean I need a sweep bad?

MPJohnny5 said:
That's exactly it! I slapped the pipe it made that same sound running down the pipe. So what does that mean I need a sweep bad?

It's impossible to tell from a distance.

How long since the chimney was cleaned?

If at all in doubt, inspect and sweep as necessary.

If it were me, I don't guess I'd panic... but I certainly can't offer that as a 'recommendation'.

Sorry I can't offer something more definitive.

Peter B.

-----

MPJohnny5 said:
Stovetop generally 400-500 depending on what species split I throw in and flue pipe gets 400-500 reading at 18 inches above stove for the start of the burn. After I throttle the air Down once it's caught it will sometimes dip down to 200

If this is a free standing stove and you have the thermometer in the hottest spot on the stove top, you are burning too cool. Another indication that can help you decide if you are burning too cool is if the glass in your stove's door gets brown / black. If burning a fire hot enough, the glass should stay clean to having a white haze. I have to clean a white haze off of my glass about once every 2 weeks or so if I'm picky. You can see the fire fine when the fire is blazing, but if it's just coals it stands out so I clean it off.

pen

MPJohnny5 said:
I have a 11 foot run out the top of my heritage to a 45 degree offset for a total of just under 14 feet to the roof. Then another 3 feet of Class A. I was getting her going today and cracked the door with a super-cedar under 4 small splits and i started to hear this noise like something was running down the pipe. It wasnt raining or sleeting out so I know it wasn't that. Folks is this what a chimney fire sounds like? There was definitely something going on. As soon as the fire took off good I shut the side door and instantly the noise went away. Any ideas?
I had the same thing on my gas stove happen. I thought the flex liner fell down the chimney, check it all out nothing. About a week later the same thing snook out side to look at chimney and found a bird taping (pecking) on the cap. Scares the hell out of you.

This is really cool.
I came here to get questions answered...or get direction ... and yet lately I dont even have to ask the questions. I had that same "rain" sound the last two days.
I am guilty of those same low temp fires with green wood and green pallet wood. Ive had a couple of real hot ones but most are sub 550

Fake coal burner said:
MPJohnny5 said:
I had the same thing on my gas stove happen. I thought the flex liner fell down the chimney, check it all out nothing. About a week later the same thing snook out side to look at chimney and found a bird taping (pecking) on the cap. Scares the hell out of you.

Funny you would say that! We had that happen here a year or so back and it sounded like an outside phone ringer LOL.. I finally saw a woodpecker sitting on the cap using it to call its' mate.. Drove me crazy for while!

Ray

Since stuff is obviously accumulating in the pipe by evidence of this sound, and because of your low burn temps, I'd highly suggest you run the brush down that chimney as a safe guard.

pen

You've got creosote buildup in your pipe, hard to say exactly where it is, how far up it goes, or how much there is just by listening to the flakes falling. I'd give it a look/sweep to play it on the safe side. I agree with others that you need to burn a little hotter (give it a bit more air). 200º external flue pipe temp is too low unless you are at the tail end of the burn cycle (coaling stage), at which point all creosote production essentially stops.

Let's take this question a step further...what happens to these flakes when they accumulate on the inside top of the stove? About 3 weeks go, I installed my Magnolia and a single pipe from stove to ceiling but triple pipe from ceiling to roof. Since our high temps were 50-60* for 3 days earlier on this week, we haven't ran stove hot at all. Now that it has gotten cold again, same deal with the popping/pinging noise here. We plan to crank it up for the next few days as our highs are in the 30's now. I was just wondering what will happen to these flakes that have fell on the inside of the stove. These are not in the firebox itself, but on the baffles above the firebox. Will they actually burn off, liquify and get glossy, or just sit there? Again, I am only 3 weeks into this new pipe/stove.

Appologies to the OP, but this question would be the next step based on our situations.

boatboy63 said:
Let's take this question a step further...what happens to these flakes when they accumulate on the inside top of the stove? About 3 weeks go, I installed my Magnolia and a single pipe from stove to ceiling but triple pipe from ceiling to roof. Since our high temps were 50-60* for 3 days earlier on this week, we haven't ran stove hot at all. Now that it has gotten cold again, same deal with the popping/pinging noise here. We plan to crank it up for the next few days as our highs are in the 30's now. I was just wondering what will happen to these flakes that have fell on the inside of the stove. These are not in the firebox itself, but on the baffles above the firebox. Will they actually burn off, liquify and get glossy, or just sit there? Again, I am only 3 weeks into this new pipe/stove.

Appologies to the OP, but this question would be the next step based on our situations.

Exactly what I wondered! Are those flakes all sitting on top of the baffle? My next question would be how to take the heritage apart and clean everything out.

Don't get in a panic over a little creosote falling in your pipe. In fact you should be banging the pipe daily for 2 reasons. One you can tell by the sound it makes how much accumulation you are getting and second, to loosen some of it from time to time. Its not nearly as much as it sounds like and it won't hurt a thing. The stuff that breaks off is real dry and won't be an ignition hazzard. I would check your pipe though and look into the stove. Simply vac out anything there and sweep your chimney. After your done, tap the stove pipe with a wooden stick or broom handle to hear how it rings. Then you'll have a bench mark. Tap daily or weekly to see if it goes from a ding to a thud. When it gets real thudy its time to sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.